The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

aperture 3.0.2

Eoin

Hi James,

I'd also recommend everyone to download the ProKitUpdate5.1 which does not appear in the software update function of OSX. It fixes a major memory leak in Aperture quite well.
link here http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1008/en_US/ProKitUpdate5.1.dmg

Also Software update is showing OSX 10.6.3 is available now. I read improved application compatibility support for OpenGL applications. Aperture is making extensive use of OpenGL and may be worth considering. But be careful you have a backup....

jonoslack

Hi There Eoin
thanks for the pro-kit link
3.0.2 is actually rather a major update, for me the biggest bonus is that now it shows which file it's processing in the activity window . . . which means that if it gets stuck you know where and what to do.

It seems faster as well, definitely worth the update.

all the best

J

Jamesmd

what do I install first , 10.6.3 or pro-kit ?

or it doesn't matter ?

Thanks

PeterA

Apple is usually so slick with their software - this Aperture is a real drama. I want it to get fixed so I can update. Then I can process in Phocus/Capture1/Exposure for my MF backs and Aperture for my M9 and use the database facilities of Aperture to keep everything nice and tidy as well as run screen based slide shows on plasma screens around the house - a great screen saver system and cheaper than printing large LOL

Eoin

I've installed the 10.6.3 OSX update without any issues. However there seems to be some change in the screen colours which will require a fresh profile of my MBP display.

It doesn't matter in which order you apply the updates, one is for the core OS and the other is for Pro Apps, well that's my understanding.

Since installing the ProKit I've found Aperture runs better, no slowdowns after heavy usage. Available memory seems to remain available.

I have my own suspicions about the problems with Aperture. I had a new Mac Pro onto which Aperture 2 was installed. I installed Aperture 3 Trial form the Apple website and everything worked fine, no stalls, no hangs. I deleted Aperture 2 with clean my mac and I deleted some files I shouldn't have rendering the OS buggy. So I wiped the System.

I did a fresh install of the OS with the provided DVD's and updated everything than installed Aperture 3 from the DVD I had bought. And the nightmares began, sharpening caused crashes with alarming regularity and brushes did the same. I wiped the system again and did another fresh install from the DVD's and had the same issues. Finally I wiped the system again installed the OS from the DVD's, updated everything and downloaded the trial Aperture again form the Apple website and everything works perfectly. Go figure that!.

Peter, I'm sure Apple would have liked more time to polish Aperture 3 before they released it. I'd suspect pressure was brought to bare by the user base who saw the Lightroom Beta release and were decrying the lack of information about the rumored Aperture 3.
Incomplete or complete, it worked for me first time round, but then again for the first time in my usage history of Aperture 1, 2 or 3 I had sufficient memory, processor & graphics horsepower to run the application smoothly and without issues. It seems very stable now with the 3.0.2 update and the ProKit 5.1 installed. It might just be the right time to move over to Aperture.

jonoslack

Apple is usually so slick with their software - this Aperture is a real drama. I want it to get fixed so I can update. Then I can process in Phocus/Capture1/Exposure for my MF backs and Aperture for my M9 and use the database facilities of Aperture to keep everything nice and tidy as well as run screen based slide shows on plasma screens around the house - a great screen saver system and cheaper than printing large LOL
Hi There Peter
I've had plenty trouble with Aperture3 . . . . but it begins to look like much of it was to do with a faulty MBP which was actually writing corrupted data to a new drive.
I now have 3.02 working fast and well - even on a 13"MBP with 4Gb RAM. There may still be a couple of issues, but any possible thoughts I had about reverting to LR have quite gone.
As Eoin says, a good time to migrate.

all the best