The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adobe Photoshop CS5

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It seems that the twain plugin is part of the optional plugins to be released "real soon now"
-bob
Hope so....

Royal pain to scan outside of PS then import the file after doing it inside PS all these years.

Bob

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It seems pretty typical for plugins to lag behind a new release of the suite. For what it's worth, I was running both the CS5 Beta and CS4 concurrently in 64 bit mode. I would switch to CS4 when I wanted to run my plugins and then open the resulting .tif in CS5 to play with its new features. They seemed to play nice together and there's nothing to prevent you from loading the entire CS5 suite into your applications alongside previous versions. Not an ideal solution, but it might help until the upgrades come along.

D

DougDolde

I installed the trial then uninstalled it. I still think its a rip off to charge 200 bucks for a single release upgrade. It was never that expensive before. They can stick it where the sun don't shine as far as I am concerned.

ustein

Contributing Editor
It seems pretty typical for plugins to lag behind a new release of the suite. For what it's worth, I was running both the CS5 Beta and CS4 concurrently in 64 bit mode. I would switch to CS4 when I wanted to run my plugins and then open the resulting .tif in CS5 to play with its new features. They seemed to play nice together and there's nothing to prevent you from loading the entire CS5 suite into your applications alongside previous versions. Not an ideal solution, but it might help until the upgrades come along.
I just use CS5 in 32 bit and don't feel I am missing much (and plugins work).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The hard fact for me is I only use one plug-in regularly --- DFine for noise reduction --- and even at that, I only use it on occasion. So for now, I simply launch CS4 when I have an image that needs it. I can wait until NIK get's their code up to speed or the rest. I like running CS5 in 64 bit.

Don Libby

I'm in a similar situation as Jack; I don't use any plug-ins although NIK does look promising. I was all set to hit the but it now button however I won't be here for the delivery and don't want it sitting on the door step till I return so I'll wait til the end of the month.

Re scanning - that's something else I rarely do now that I've gone completely digital. There are rare moments that I need to use my scanner and when I do I just open CS4 32bit (I have both 64 and 32 shortcuts on my desktop).

I seen the web cast on the new functions and all in all it looks like a much better upgrade than what was between 2 and 3. CS4 was the first to actually offer some sort 64bit and now it looks like 5 has matured that much more.

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Scanning is easy -- Buy VueScan, way better than any twain plug...

CS5 just arrived this morning(I prefer physical media). I'll install it later tonight. Anyone else going to the Kelby seminar in SSF on the 17th?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Interesting that disable scratch compression is still a working plugin. Guess I'll move it over!

ustein

Contributing Editor
The hard fact for me is I only use one plug-in regularly --- DFine for noise reduction --- and even at that, I only use it on occasion. So for now, I simply launch CS4 when I have an image that needs it. I can wait until NIK get's their code up to speed or the rest. I like running CS5 in 64 bit.
In your case I would too. You have a more modern machine, larger files and more memory. I run many applications at the same time and don't want other applications to grab too much memory. For me it works.

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
I am running 8gb of ram on a MacBook Pro, how much should I allocate to Photoshop CS5 for maximum performance. I do not need to run other programs when I'm in Photoshop.
Thanks

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am running 8gb of ram on a MacBook Pro, how much should I allocate to Photoshop CS5 for maximum performance. I do not need to run other programs when I'm in Photoshop.
Thanks
If you are running noting else, then run the slider all the way to the top.
-bob

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Here's an example of the power of the content-aware fill. The original shot, and the final, produced as a gift for the guys. Notice the cables that run through the guy's hat and arm. Eliminating them required two selections with the lasso tool. Select the area freehand, call up content aware fill and bingo. One selection and fill for each area and done. Could it have been done with the clone tool? Probably. But I'm not sure I would have even attempted it given how squeefy that tool can be. So to some extent, that upgrade alone was worth the price of the upgrade (for me).

Tim

robsteve

Subscriber
Here's an example of the power of the content-aware fill. The original shot, and the final, produced as a gift for the guys. Notice the cables that run through the guy's hat and arm. Eliminating them required two selections with the lasso tool. Select the area freehand, call up content aware fill and bingo. One selection and fill for each area and done. Could it have been done with the clone tool? Probably. But I'm not sure I would have even attempted it given how squeefy that tool can be. So to some extent, that upgrade alone was worth the price of the upgrade (for me).

Tim
That alone is worth the $200 :)

Robert