The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adobe Photoshop CS5

jlm

Workshop Member
looks like the arm cables were cropped and I'd like to know how PS figured there was a crease in the top of his hat. looks like some branches between their heads are different?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It's true I cropped a lot off the right side, but there was cables still showed in the upper, right corner. They formed a sort of triangle that came down to the top of the elbow and into the frame about a quarter of an inch.

Tim Ernst

Different serial numbers? All of the $100 bills in my county are all the same! And they all say Epson on the back in tiny letters....

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Has anyone uninstalled CS4 from there machine after loading CS5. Results, Issues?
Sorry for the late reply...CS4 uninstalled after I saved all brushes actions and moved plugins.

Still awaiting a TWAIN that will work inside CS5. Mainly for scanning and saving documents...not photo related at all.

Bob

Dustbak

Hmmmm... I am wondering what to do. I have one master collection that I share with someone and I have another license to install CS4 extended on 2 machines (2 laptops).

What shall I upgrade too? I don't need the suite to go to CS5 but I do need PS to go there.

I cannot upgrade the photoshop version of the suite to PS CS5 alone but need to upgrade it to at least another suite. I do need PS CS5 on the big MacPro that also carries the suite. To sacrifice another PS CS4 license on that machine seems ridiculous to me but I think it eventually boils down to that :(

I think it is kind of ridiculous you cannot upgrade components of a suite separately.

fotografz

Here's an example of the power of the content-aware fill. The original shot, and the final, produced as a gift for the guys. Notice the cables that run through the guy's hat and arm. Eliminating them required two selections with the lasso tool. Select the area freehand, call up content aware fill and bingo. One selection and fill for each area and done. Could it have been done with the clone tool? Probably. But I'm not sure I would have even attempted it given how squeefy that tool can be. So to some extent, that upgrade alone was worth the price of the upgrade (for me).

Tim
I've tried a few fairly simple things with the new tool and I can't seem to get it right. I followed the short video, and the results look bad ... color shift and residual image ... wonder what I'm doing wrong? As I am using it, it seems useless.

-Marc

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That alone is worth the $200 :)

Robert
Absolutely agree Robert! Also note the fact that CS5 can use up to 64 Gigs of your memory is a significant performance plus --- combine these two features alone, and it's easily worth $200 for me. And that's $200 for probably 2 years of performance boost until CS6 comes out ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I've tried a few fairly simple things with the new tool and I can't seem to get it right. I followed the short video, and the results look bad ... color shift and residual image ... wonder what I'm doing wrong? As I am using it, it seems useless.

-Marc
Marc, are you using it on a layered file, or the base layer before other adjustments? You want to use content-aware fill like when cloning dust or spot healing --- meaning the first steps on the base file before you start tweaking color, saturation, curves or doing output sharpening etc...

FWIW, I've found the best practice with it is to do the main lasso select and fill, then edit any residual artifacts using the content aware healing brush with a soft-ish edge. Works impressively well, even when removing objects from in front of a textured or patterned background...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think the real trick in this is being pretty accurate in your selection. I have tried a couple things and found the better I am with the lasso tool or magic wand and do a feather of 1 or 2 pixels than the better it works. Forget the videos you have to work a little. They made it look a little too easy on the video's but in the end you still save a boat load of time and effort than trying to clone and airbrush. Also I have been running 64 bit for a long time and have a little program that always boots in 64 bit but I have noticed a very good speed boost. My files are typically 230 meg 16 bit tiff as the base size. I'm also on a much faster laptop as well with the I7 core so i really have gained some speed. IMHO worth the 200 bucks without a doubt. Some real speed increases and some nice functional things in it. As a full time laptop user your looking for all the speed you can get and my files are not small so it is even more important to be pushing the envelope.

here is that little 64 bit program

http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Oh, and while we're on the topic of selections, the new automatic selection brush is very, very cool too!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy should probably have clarified that this program boots OSX in 64 bit automatically. (Note that currently OSX boots in 32 bit mode unless you force 64 bit by holding down the "6" and "4" keys during boot -- his link is to a little code script that handles that automatically upon each boot.) With some programs, you will run faster if OSX is running 64 bit, but in some others, you can actually run slower, so as with all newish operations caution is advised...

Next it should be noted that you do NOT need to boot OSX in 64-bit to run CS5 in 64-bit -- CS5 runs natively in 64-bit mode on both 32 and 64 bit OSX mode. To run CS5 in 32 bit mode (on Mac), you open the package "info" and you'll find an option checkbox for opening CS5 in 32 bit mode. Currently, the main reason to run CS5 in 32 bit mode is most legacy plug-ins won't work in 64 bit mode, but will in 32 bit mode.

FWIW only,

T.Karma

Guy,
That would be good news indeed. However, I am just loading CS5 now and I see that it loaded the 32-bit emulator of MS!!!! on 64-bit Windows 7

WTF as they say en France. Is it 64-bit or not. (sorry, since I have a non-graphics business, we need to use MS OS )

So, what is going on. If the 64bit on mac is real but on MS is just 'faked' that is important to know.

Anybody out there know?

regards
Victor
These days Adobe is treating Win useres first. :D

CS4 was already 64bit on MS 64 OS, but only Photoshop - the rest is still emulated. However, working with 16 GB Ram on a Win7 server board everything is faster in CS4, especially Bridge. In CS5 it should be even better, unless something went seriously wrong.

scatesmd

Workshop Member
So far, CS5 has been pretty buggy for me on Win7, 64x.

I had to re-install 3x before it said it worked. I had to re-install the 32-bit plugins and have to find my actions to re-install these, as expected.

After I load the program, the top drop-down menu is duplicated right underneath-2 rows of the same "file" "image" etc.

If I use the floating menu for Nik, movement duplicates the panel. It then tried to add yet another original program drop-down menu into the floating panel. Again, this is in 32-bit mode.

There have been a number of .dll errors after the install. I also see that, before each install, it asks me to restart, even if I just restarted.

Some of the plug-in menus from Nik don't work right, but I tried them in CS4 after the Win 7 upgrade and they didn't work right there, either.

Sometimes, the program just "unexpectedly quits."

It's odd, but Topaz Adjust seems to be producing more grain than before in the images.

At this point, it's not easy to think this is working well. I have a pending call from tech support in the am. Support on Sat had to be called, as the install couldn't find CS4 to make the upgrade license work.

Finally, I just saw the post that NAPP had a discount. Ouch!

The upgrade has been an all-day deal and still isn't working right.

Has anyone else had so much trouble?

Thanks, steve

scatesmd

Workshop Member
Just tried 64x version. Some of the same issues apply. There are still duplications of panels on moving them and attempts to add another top menu into the panel. The program then just quits.

So far, neither program can run.

steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bummer Steve! I can only comment re Mac and Snow Leopard, but so far that combo has been nearly flawless. I wonder if it is an issue with your plug-ins?

None of my plug-ins run unless I launch CS5 in 32-bit mode, and then CS5 slows down on the large files, so I have not spent much time using CS5 in 32-bit mode. FWIW, my current work-around is I leave CS5 booting in 64-bit because it is so much faster with the big files, and keep CS4 installed for the plug-ins when I need them. So far this seems a decent workaround for me.