The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to Aperture

LoSenior

I just ordered Aperture 3 and this will be my first experience with Aperture.
I've looked at a couple forums and there are some expressed concerns, full screen freeze. loading existing files and others.
I'm going to be using a MBP, OS X 10.6.3, 17" AG with an Intel i7. The rest of the MBP is a standard set up. I moved to Apple about a month ago and I'm still in transition.
I have been using Capture One 5 Pro and want to use A3 as a complimentary program.
I have a couple basic questions and any help will be appreciated. I plan on going to the Apple store for one to one help. Before I go to Apple I think that I want to load A3 and and use A3 as my organizing /file program. I'm currently storing my pictures on my MBP HD and using Time Machine as a back up. I'm getting another external HD to use as another back up and as a working HD when I want to use C1 or A3.
What is a way to set up my photos so I can move between C1 and A3?
Is there a good resource to help me understand the use of A3? Does the enclosed user guide provide enough information to do the initial set up?
I have about 1,000 pictures and most of them are in RAW format using an A900. From what I understand it may take some time to load them through A3? I'm hoping to have A3 set up and running before I go to the Apple store for help.
Thanks for any help, Jerry

LJL

Jerry,
There are a number of folks on this forum with some very good experience with Aperture, so I am hoping more will chime in. One of the first things you may want to decide is how you want to handle the RAW files. One way that many folks like is to keep them in their own folders on a drive (internal or external) and then import them into Aperture as "referenced files". This allows you to easily access them from other apps, such as C1. You can also adjust settings in Aperture for the quality of the preview image you want to display. This mainly impacts your ability to quickly move through images for sorting and other stuff. Bigger, higher resolution choices will use a bit more horsepower, but your machine should easily handle the task. (If you have not done so, upping the RAM to 8GB at some point will help a bit too, especially once you start doing work on the larger files.

There are several online tutorials for Aperture on the Apple site that do a fairly decent job of getting you oriented. The app is really pretty intuitive, once you start playing with it. You will quickly learn how to change the viewer depending on what you want to do, as well as shift to full-screen mode for some things. These are easy single keystrokes (toggling "V" lets you move through viewer options, while toggling "F" takes you into/out of full-screen viewing, and toggling "Z" lets you quickly zoom to 100% view (pixel level) for checking focus or other things.) The default camera settings are a good start for most processing, and you can easily batch process similarly lit images by lifting settings, and then stamping them onto other selected images. You may want to become selective in what you lift and stamp, such as only RAW profile tweaks, any exposure adjustments, contrast, vibrance, edge sharpening, sharpening, and not crops and straightening or localized brush adjustments. Getting a workflow for the kinds of things you need to adjust is quick and easy.

If you are not having to use it for finding people using the face recognition feature, I suggest turning that off, as it is a processing hog. Doing you IPTC data adds are very easy and quite fast. However, they only apply within Aperture, unless you export masters with data to work on in another app. So, if for example you wanted to rename some files, you might want to do that prior to importing them into Aperture if you also wanted to use those names for something like C1. I know that may sound a bit confusing, but once you work with it, you will quickly understand. You can exit to C1 (or PS or other apps) for work, and then return to Aperture, but not sure what you will gain with C1 for that. I think if you wanted to use C1 for RAW processing, do it there first and then import the referenced tiff file into Aperture for your cataloging. I have found that the RAW processing in Aperture 3 is really quite good, and if I needed some special handling, I do it in that app separately, but import the work file as a referenced file into Aperture for other adjustments and cataloging. Just remember, all of the adjustments you make on files stay in the Aperture Library, unless you export a master file with all the adjustments. The original files themselves can be stored anywhere, but work you do in Aperture stays in Aperture until you export either a version or master for other work someplace else. This becomes very clear once you use it a few times.

Not sure if this is helping or confusing..... Basically, the user guide has almost everything you need to know, but it is a PITA to read and find stuff. The tutorials are a good starting place to get the basics, as well as learn some useful features. First up is to get familiar with the vocabulary, how and where you want to store things, and then think about how you want to organize things into Projects and Folders inside Aperture.

It is a powerful and decent app for doing a lot of things. I have used it from its introduction several years ago, but only now, with version 3, have I felt comfortable enough to use it in full production mode for all my professional work. I go from import, through cataloging, keywording, through sorting, through batch adjustments where practical, through individual image adjustments as needed, to exporting images that have been reduced in size, converted to JPEGs, have a watermark added and placed in a folder to upload to my Web site galleries. All of that is taking me about a third of the time it took to do similar work in Bridge/ACR/PS, or C1 or other apps. I shoot several thousand event pics a week, and handling time is important for speed. Also, a good portion of the final images will be going into books for clients, which will be made directly from Aperture. A very powerful tool with good workflow, good RAW processing, and the ability to manage your images almost any way you want.

Welcome to the club that actually like using Aperture.

LJ

P.S. The issues you mentioned as "problems" should not plague you at all. There have been recent updates to Aperture to bring it to version 3.0.3, which is very stable and got many of the glitches fixed. And, since you are not converting a previous version Aperture Library, none of the other problems mentioned will ever come up. You are starting with clean imports to a new Library with no prior adjustments or versions of stuff. Does not get any simpler than that. BTW, I am running it on a 15" MBP i7 with 8GB RAM, and it keeps up with me as fast as I work. So, essentially the same computer, though mine has a bit smaller screen, and that is now my production machine. I keep all files on external FW800 drives, and I also back-up the Aperture Libraries separately after I finish a session. I keep separate Libraries that are easy to switch between as needed (e.g, polo, portrait sessions, landscape, commercial shoots, etc.). Each is stored on a separate drive that I easily import the Library to my main HD when visiting a client or traveling, but I then dump it from my main HD once I no longer need to use it. Very flexible for giving slideshows and stuff, but not working on files for edits, as they are stored as referenced files on another drive at the office. This is where it is worth having Aperture process screen-sized viewer files for storage in its Library when you import files at the start.

Now, if you keep all your files on your HD, none of this really becomes much of an issue, as you will have everything there already. I would still suggest using the "referenced files" approach. If you are using Time Machine, then everything will be backed up to where you want, so not a problem there. I do not use Time Machine, but do all of my back-ups manually, and I also have many external drives filled with files, so my set-up may be different than your needs. As mentioned, I probably shoot several thousand pics each week now, and that would easily swamp any internal HD for storing them.

Last edited:

LoSenior

LJ,

Thanks for you help. You have given me a good starting point and I appreciate your help.
I'm getting excited about using Aperture 3, it is one of the main reasons that I decided to get a Apple/MBP.
I ordered Aperture 3 from B&H Photo and it should be here Monday.

Regards, Jerry

jonoslack

LJ. :clap::clap::clap:
Jerry. All really excellent advice
With th number of files you are talking of I would be tempted to keep the Apertute Library and your referenced files on your local drive, there will be a bit of a performance hit, but it males it all so convenient.
For my Sony A900 I infinitely prefer the aperture conversions to C1, so you should keep an open mind about needing both

kevinparis

unless you absolutely know that C1 gives you something you must have i would go for an Aperture only workflow... think there is a lot of small male cow testicles associated with the dedicated RAW processor applications... the Aperture development guys do put a lot of effort into getting the profiles for Aperture to be as sweet as possible

just my opinion..but Aperture and Aperture only will make your life simpler

K

LoSenior

Jono and Kevin,
Thanks for suggesting to try Aperture as a stand alone photo imaging software. I'm going to start using A3 as my new software only.
I will also be able to use the Apple One to One help.
I'll keep everything on my MBP HD and use the new HD as a back up for my pictures.
I have had an opportunity to learn the importance of having back up files on a separate HD. Because of my fault I lost about 1/3 of my pictures and without a back up file they are now gone. Most of the pictures were of family and travel.

Thanks for the assistance.

Regards, Jerry

jonoslack

Hi Kevin
I hope you're well . . . still in Paris?
Interestingly, I had a vague idea that C1 was better for it's moire correction than Aperture, not something I've had much problem with anyway, but this thread:

Moire on dress thread

shows that Aperture seems to be able to do a better job here as well.

Aperture 3 has meant that I very rarely do any external work (sometimes lens correction in CS3, Stitching, and occasionally Silver efex pro for black and white). All of it is done from within Aperture though.

all the best

LJL

Jono,
With respect to Silver Efex....I was recently in touch with the folks at Nik Software (Silver Efex, Viveza, Dfine, etc.) and they said they will be releasing the 64-bit versions of their plug-ins as free updates to owners of the software a bit later this year. They hope to have the 64-bit plug-in for Viveza ready in by summer. They will work on Aperture, LightRoom and PS CS5, all now running in 64-bit on the Mac and PC platforms. This will be nice to keep from having to drop back to 32-bit in Aperture just to use these nice tools. Thought to mention this....

LJ

jonoslack

Jono,
With respect to Silver Efex....I was recently in touch with the folks at Nik Software (Silver Efex, Viveza, Dfine, etc.) and they said they will be releasing the 64-bit versions of their plug-ins as free updates to owners of the software a bit later this year. They hope to have the 64-bit plug-in for Viveza ready in by summer. They will work on Aperture, LightRoom and PS CS5, all now running in 64-bit on the Mac and PC platforms. This will be nice to keep from having to drop back to 32-bit in Aperture just to use these nice tools. Thought to mention this....

LJ
HI There
Thanks for this - I still have the old version of Viveza . . not sure if I'll get a free upgrade for that :(.

Aperture 3 really has changed into a grand product - I think it's more stable than 2 was now, the RAW conversions are great, and it's a joy to use.

LJL

HI There
Thanks for this - I still have the old version of Viveza . . not sure if I'll get a free upgrade for that :(.
The folks said the new 64-bit plug-in for Viveza would be for v.2 :-( But, the one for Silver Efex would work for you ;-) I will be upgrading Viveza to v.2 once the plug-ins are available, as I find it a very nice tool. Right now rather than using it inside Aperture, I keep it in PS, shell out to PS from Aperture, make the adjustments, and come back into Aperture, without having to exit and restart it in 32-bit.

LJ

J

Jamesmd

Hi Losenior , Good choice , I use Aperture from A2 and its great , I sometimes , look and try others , but I always come back to it . Fast ,easy , powerful , and very very organized .
I have C1 pro , but don't use it , only some time to realize what I like is A3;)

And now in A3 , as they already said here , you can do almost everything .

Hope you enjoy :thumbs:

Cheers

James

iiiNelson

I just got Aperture 3 last night to use until Lightroom 3 comes out (and maybe replace the NEED for Lightroom 3 should they support new cameras quickly.) Is there a way to make or do watermarks in Aperture 3?

kevinparis

Through the haze of my first coffee of the morning - there is a way to do watermarks

from the Export versions dialog if you go to the export presets and go to the bottom where it says Edit - you get to a dialog where you can specify a watermark from a graphic image

PM me if you need more info

cheers

K

LoSenior

Apocolibri,

Thanks for the link to youtube, I like how there are so many different Aperture 3 videos.
I've taken one class at the Apple store and need to take a few more. So far I'm very pleased with Aperture 3 and I'm looking forward to using it as my primary photo program.
Thanks to all that have posted and shared their experiences.
Regards, Jerry

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Folks who have NVIDIA cards might want to think twice re. upgrading to 10.6.4; see here.

To save you reading the 9-odd pages, it seems that reverting to 10.6.3 is the only solution for those who are having these problems.

And another tip I am very happy to pass on: installing a solid state drive (cloned from your existing System Drive) will give you a tremendous performance boost. PS opens in about four seconds now; same with all other apps. Truly an amazing improvement all around. I got this tip from digloyd.com/.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Two questions to the Aperture gurus here:

Have any of you had the now-horrendous list of problems that the users are reporting in the Apple forum that I mentioned above (now ten angry pages), and

Have any of you managed to get the Web Journal facility to work? Web Page works fine, but for the life of me I can't get the Web Journal to work, and for my interaction with my architect clients, to be able to discuss images in the gallery itself would be grand, indeed.

Cheers, from a still-happy Aperture user (who has upgraded to the latest OS, and does not have the problems listed on that other forum) :)