The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

resize then edit? or edit then resize?

W

wOLFAD

is one way better than the other? or is it just preference?

this will be for web if that helps.

thanks

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I typically make all my main edits at native size and save this with all the layers as my "working" version. Then I'll flatten and resize to whatever size needed, and do a final edit(s) based on the specific output for that version. This includes web, but I have an action I run that performs most of my regularly desired edits for each size I output to.

RomanJohnston

Edit fully all aspects of editing EXCEPT sharpening.

Sharpening is very specific to what your doing with the file and final output.

If printing large, I sharpen the normal sized file and let the RIP do it's magic.

If saving for web I edit all except sharpening. Reduce to the size needed for web, then sharpen. (actually I have a reduction script that kinda twists through some reduction tricks then sharpens)

Hope this helps.

Roman

Ben Rubinstein

Point is as Jack said, if you resize then you have to resize to the maximum size you will ever use and then edit. If you print smaller then you created loads of pixels for no reason just to throw them away and the effect will be detrimental.

Edit at native size, resize depending on the specific need at the time and sharpen accordingly at that size.

I never bought into capture sharpening though...