The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Software necessary to start digital workflow ?

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

I have a Ricoh GX-100 on order and I'm investigating what I will need as far as software goes to start a digital workflow that will mainly be catalog oriented, with limited processing (mainly B&W conversion). I found a page on ImpulseAdventure that compares photo catalog software and I will go for the 30 day trial of idImager. Unfortunately, they stopped shipping the free version :(

Now, what else do I need ?
- RAW conversion: is this delivered with the camera ? Any good reason to buy another program (CaptureOne/SilkyPix/...) ?
- processing: I guess I can use the GIMP for most needs ? I need to play around with it a bit more to get a feel of the layers-curves-b&W etc., but I expect GIMP is more than capable enough for me.
- is it *really* necessary to buy a hardware solution to calibrate my screen ? I don't have a photo printer and I'm not planning to get one. But I prefer to get my own look and to tell the printer that they should print it as-is, without adjustments. (I've had strange effects when having a photo of red saussages on a red background printed in a shop :D). My monitor is about 4 years old, so I wouldn't be surprised if the colours are off.
- anything else ? I have RAID and I'm not planning to take backups any time soon... if my house burns down, the photos will be the least of my worries.

Peter.