The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fixing back focus in LR?

edmund

Hi everyone - recently I used a Nocti f/1 at a wedding.

Unfortunately, it had some back-focusing and some of the photos I took are off --- is there any way to sharpen them up a little in LR? Something better than the sharpen tool --

Anyone have experience with Nik Sharpener?

thanks so much!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not really. You could try some masked high pass sharpening in Photoshop -- it will accent the edges and may help, but won't "move" the original PoF. Google "high pass sharpening" for details on how to do it.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Focus is where focus is,
but (and this is only a slight but)
If it is just a tiny bit off, the new sharpen tool in PS CS5 might be a little useful.
It now is sensitive to pen pressure and it is possible to add the "appearance" of sharpness selectively with a tablet without making as many artifacts as it used to.
-bob

edmund

Hmmm... interesting.

You are right, Ive always had trouble with incorrectly focused photos... I was just hoping that perhaps there was something new out there that worked.

Thank you!

fotografz

Hmmm... interesting.

You are right, Ive always had trouble with incorrectly focused photos... I was just hoping that perhaps there was something new out there that worked.

Thank you!
There is.

It is called "Focus Magic".

http://www.focusmagic.com/

It's actually freakin' creepy what this PS plug-in can do ...

$45. with a free trial to evaluate it. Just take care not to get to heavy handed with it. But for slightly OOF shots it actually works quite well.

I've saved a few Nocti and 75/1.4 wedding shots with it, and was able to print decent 8X10s. ;)

The draw back right now is that it only works on Macs running Rosetta.

-Marc