The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What am I missing????

Godfrey

LJ Thank you so much... that cleared up a lot for me and has made me rethink my digital work flow.

I just ordered a 4gb DDR2 SO-DIMM 800mhz memory package that should be here in 7-10 days. I called my local Apple Store first on this to get the memory but they no longer stock DDR2 memory just DDR3. My machine is a iMac 8,1 bought April 09 .... seem's like a mighty new machine to have no stock store items already but that is another topic. Anyway they referred me to the phone apple store and they wanted $200 for 4 gig's of memory. This seemed high and I researched it at a computer supply store and was right.... I got it there for $100 less total with free shipping. Could of even paid less at some online supply houses but I prefer to buy from a brick and mortar store when possible.

Thanks again for all the assistance....... hard to teach old dogs new tricks ;)

I also stopped by Borders for a Aperture 3 instructional course book so as to keep my dumb questions to a minimum ;)
Buying RAM from Apple is akin to taking half the money you pay and shredding it.

I just ordered 8G RAM for a new Mac Mini: from Apple it would have cost $500 to add that to the order, from Other World Computing I bought it for $219.

Apple is not the place to go to buy hard drives or RAM.

Jim DE

LJ, as a follow up I received my 4 gig memory kit today and installed it. No more slow processing issue's with Aperture .... fact is it is smoking fast now ;)

Thanks again LJ

LJL

You are welcome, Jim. While I have 8GB RAM in my MBP, I rarely see Aperture taking more than 4GB for its use, so the 4GB you have now is probably going to be a very nice operating size for it, as long as you are not also running lots of other stuff.

And with the other adjustments (Faces "off") and properly sized previews, things will be a lot faster to work with once loaded in. (I just finished some older cataloging, and have data bases for two of my separate 2007 ventures....polo, which has 85 Projects with 21,469 images in it, and equestrian, which has 15 projects with 21,025 images. Things zip along nicely, even with referenced files, so you can grow these things pretty large ;-)

LJ