The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help Raw image workflow Panasonic LX3?? LOST :(

flipflop

Hello,

I recently went to europe with my lx3 and shot all raw images. I imported them into iphoto but iphoto created copies of the raw images. All the raw images appear to be soft and the colors dont seem to be correct. I know I am supposed to process these. Do I have to do this individually?

I installed silky pix. Now what :).

What is the standard process, do I make the adjustments in the raw file then when I get it to a point that I like then save it as a jpeg?

Any info you can provide would be very helpful. Im a film shooter.

Thanks!

Terry

I haven't used iPhoto in a while but generally you don't need to save anything to a jpeg until you want to do something with it. Yes, you need to make changes to each photo.

1)import the photos
2)choses which ones you want to work on
3)use the editing functions within iPhoto to makes those changes
4)hit the done button (or something similarly named) to save your edits

Then the questions is what do you want to do with them (slideshow/print/email/book) - some guidance here and I can give you more info.

Generally iPhoto (at least is used to) retains your original file and the changes are kept separately. This allows you to always get back to the RAW file.
If you are going to be shooting a lot more digital and want to get a better workflow going where you can apply the same settings to multiple photos etc. I would encourage you to use Aperture or Lightroom.

Godfrey

I haven't used iPhoto in a while but generally you don't need to save anything to a jpeg until you want to do something with it. Yes, you need to make changes to each photo.

1)import the photos
2)choses which ones you want to work on
3)use the editing functions within iPhoto to makes those changes
4)hit the done button (or something similarly named) to save your edits

Then the questions is what do you want to do with them (slideshow/print/email/book) - some guidance here and I can give you more info.

Generally iPhoto (at least is used to) retains your original file and the changes are kept separately. This allows you to always get back to the RAW file.
If you are going to be shooting a lot more digital and want to get a better workflow going where you can apply the same settings to multiple photos etc. I would encourage you to use Aperture or Lightroom.
- Yes, iPhoto still keeps adjustments and original files separately. It works much like Aperture and Lightroom in this respect.

- You can copy and paste adjustments you make.

- It's fine for a few adjustments to a few files at a time. Anything more than that and you need the features of something more capable to handle the job.

Godfrey

What would you recommend?
I use Adobe Lightroom for virtually all my image processing and recommend it. I like its integration with Photoshop and its UI/workflow model. It does an excellent job in all respects.

However, if you prefer to stick with Apple software (which has its benefits given the integration with other Apple software applications and the support you can get at Apple Retail Stores), Aperture 3 processes LX3 raw files very nicely too. Aperture 3 is sort of an iPhoto on steroids, targeted to much more serious use from advanced amateur to professional.

davidzega

Lost Your Digital Photos? Don't Panic!
Amrev Mac Photo Recovery is extremely advanced tool to recover lost and deleted photos, videos and audio files. Intensive scan is used to recover lost or deleted data. Software can deal with all types of data loss situations.