The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom 3: Whites whiter?

edmund

Hi everyone

Just curious, in Lightroom, how would I go about making whites whiter for a black and white image?

Setting WB to Auto doesnt seem to really whiten the whites as much as Id like.

Do I just need to play around with the temp or tint?

Thank you!

JMSPhoto

Edmund,

I set the histogram so that clipping will be shown for whites. Then increase exposure slider to point of clipping or beyond. Recovery slider will allow some fine tuning if you want to recover some blown out highlights. The blacks and fill light slider work on the blacks in the same way.

John

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Hi everyone

Just curious, in Lightroom, how would I go about making whites whiter for a black and white image?

Thank you!
So are the whites not neutral or are they just not white meaning light enough. If it's the first case, using the color picker to select the area that should be a completely neutral but isn't blown. If it's the later, it's more about adjusting levels, contrast or curves to lighten the whites.

Godfrey

Hi everyone

Thank you!
When rendering to monochrome, the white balance, hue, saturation and luminosity controls adjust the luminosity relationship of colors to one another. It's the equivalent of using filters with B&W film.

To make "whites whiter", you need to adjust the relationship of whites to blacks using the exposure, fill light, blacks, recovery, brightness and contrast sliders. The Tone Curve panel gives you even more control with adjustments to Highlights, Lights, Darks, and Shadows, and control over the transitions between these areas.

Usually, putting a mild "S" curve into the Tone Curve panel gets me most of the way there.