The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture

J

Jamesmd

Hi all .

I was thinking it would be great if you could copy a mask you made for some setting to another one .
So , for example if you brushed in a tint fx you could copy only the mask to use with burn let's say .

Is it possible ? If not it would be very handy .and if it is , how do you do it?

Cheers

LJL

Not sure if you have checked things out, but you can copy something like tint and apply it to other images. You basically use the Lift & Stamp tool. So Lift the Adjustments, and when you go to Stamp them onto another image, just check which Adjustments you want or uncheck those you do not want. Of course the caveat is that the mask of "Tint" in your example will overlay the chosen image you select to Stamp, exactly as from the image you did the Lift. So if, for example, you are doing retouching on several portraits, or a product shot, or landscape, etc., and create a Tint that you want applied to all of them, you can do this, but the tint will be applied exactly as it was lifted. So if the objects/subjects are not in register across the target frames, they may get tinted or the area you wanted tinted may get missed a bit.

Try it out, it does work.

LJ

P.S. I reread you question and realized you are looking to apply features across different adjustments. Do not think that is possible. In your example, creating a "Tint" adjustment and then applying it with "Burn" tool will not work. However, you can apply the "Tint", and then go back in and remove parts of it, but not sure you can intensify it. Upon further reflection, I must say that I am really not sure what you are trying to accomplish with what you are asking. If you did a "Burn" adjustment in an image, you could lift that and apply to another image, effecting the same area of the frame. If you did a "Burn" and a "Tint", you could Lift and Stamp those on another image also.

Last edited:
J

Jamesmd

No , I didn't explain properly.
What I want is to use the same mask for different fx on the same shot .

Before it was just an example , imagine you want to apply 3 fx to a sky , you would only have to brush and work on Borders an little details once .

LJL

Ahh...now I understand what you were after. No, Aperture cannot do a multi-use layer mask type of operation like can be done in Photoshop......at least not that I have found yet ;-)

LJ