The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portable viewing of tethered images?

gsking

If I'm shooting tethered and want to remotely view my images, is there a way to do it? Something so absurdly simple apparently escapes the capability of a world full of programmers and developers, apparently.

There appears to be no way to view the image files over Bluetooth, because none of the BT file transfer programs work with Windows XP...despite their assurances that they do.

And the people that designed ad hoc networking failed to make it work with any small devices either.

So my Android phone is incapable of viewing files on my laptop computer, and the only similar device would be an Itouch. But I can't get a good indication that it would be capable of doing it either.

Has anyone found a handheld device that can link to a laptop without an access point and view files? Probably any combination of devices that AREN'T an XP laptop and an HTC Hero phone will work, right? ;)

Thanks,
Greg

Terry

I came across a video oh a photographer who has an on location workflow where he uses an eye-fi card and an app to get his photos on to the ipad similar to a tethering process. I'm having trouble locating that link but I believe this is the App from iTunes that is being used. Perhaps this can help you in finding the solution that will work for you

http://2ndnature.thebrew.dk/shuttersnitch/

Edit: Here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4CgABZVNjU

and another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHArjTpUZHU&feature=related

Last edited:

gsking

Terry,

Hey, good info. Thanks. That looks like a pretty slick system. I actually have an Eye-fi card for my daughter's P&S....nothing high-end that it will work with.

They confirmed my suspicions, however, that Itouch and family do not support ad hoc networking, either. All the networked solutions demand you have an access point at the ready to hand off data between the two devices. And all the ones I've seen are AC powered.

Looks like the Zyxel G-220 can emulate an AP on the computer side. it might work. Of course, its primary intent is to share WAN/internet, so it's unclear how easy it'll be to set up file sharing. That falls back on the software running on both computers, and I THINK there are plenty of solutions for that. Assuming they work, of course. ;)

I suppose I could try getting something to work with my house AP, and if I get success, grab a G-220 and have a go at it.

Greg

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
There are actually many options out there. All the ones I follow are for mac-only due to the mac laptops all being capable of producing ad-hoc networks and the OS itself having VPN based screen sharing built in. Can't help you much with the Windows end.

gsking

Doug,

But what do you use on the handheld side? As I noted above, the Itouch doesn't do ad hoc. XP will do ad hoc as well...it's not the laptop side I'm having the issue with.

I could look at a Pocket PC based machine, but would rather use an existing gadget.

Greg