The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best Noise Reduction software

bradhusick

Lightroom 3 has really good noise reduction built-in. I have tried many of the add-on products and now simply use Lightroom.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My favorite remains NIK's DFine, but it doesn't work in 64 bit yet. Also excellent is Topaz labs NR tool.

K

Kirk Gittings

Lightroom 3 has really good noise reduction built-in. I have tried many of the add-on products and now simply use Lightroom.
Me too. It is much superior to what I was using-Noise Ninja-and does everything I need.

B

bruin

I like Noiseware. It lets me control the NR strength for different frequencies (very low, low, medium, high) and luminance/chroma noise, so I can create a look similar to film grain.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I should add after the LR comments that C1's latest NR is also excellent. However, NR in raw converters apply globally, and there are times when you only want to remove noise from certain areas of the image. Here, a "layers and masks" workflow in Photoshop is an ideal solution. The NR tools in CS5 are improved as well, but IMO they still aren't quite up to what the aforementioned plug-ins can do.

My humble .02,

David Schneider

Noiseware also. It has some free actions with it, but I find all most all of the time the default works just great. So you can get technical with it or just use it right out of the box.

Thanks guys, I work in Photoshop cs4 at the moment so can't play with Lightroom, will look into noiseware and Niks, I guess I can always save the image twice and do noise reduction on one and then blend in photoshop.

Cheers
Will.

I should add after the LR comments that C1's latest NR is also excellent.
All the tests I have seen clearly show LR3 noise reduction being superior to C1, but in my own tests C1 was better and more natural looking. I think what camera you shoot with may have a strong effect on what works and what is best.

D

Dyslexic3

I'm as new as new gets around here, but can someone clarify what is abbreviated to C1?

Tim