The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LCC Profiles go MIA w/ each C1 Upgrade

John Black

This is frustrating - with each C1 upgrade, the LCC presets get zapped. This then corrupts the past images w/ LCC profiles attached because the drop preset is not found. I then I have to go back and recreate all this. So, how do we maintain LCC profiles each time C1 is updated?

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
So you are saying if I upgrade my C1 I have to redo all of my LCC corrections? Tell me it's not true ... what would be a real PITA.

John Black

Bob, EIP works for P-back files, but not the Leica M9, Canon, Nikon, etc. Wayne, I won't say it will happen for sure, but it did happen to me. And, while I'm ranting a bit, Phase One is pushing the various LCC related functions. To do that they have to be saved as presets which gets very stupid after awhile because the list gets really long with a bunch of LCC's that I needed just once.

I've also tried using the color profile editors and saving that as an ICC profile. That gets blown out too each time the app is upgraded. I spent a long time creating those color profiles, so when they went missing after update --- not a happy moment...

I've started creating folders where I store the files used for LCC's and another folder with the original image edited to create a color profile. Then after update I back into that folder and start creating the presets again. Problem is, if I goof up on the naming, then any images that used a LCC X or ICC Y - the file / profile won't be found and C1 gets some heart burn.

I'm hoping these presets / LCC's, etc., live somewhere and I could just copy them back into the new version of C1 via file manager. That work with the LCC's a long time ago (like 3 years ago). But now I think everything is store within C1's "Content" (I use a Mac).

Sorry for going on and on... Hopefully somebody has figured this all out and can share some pearls of wisdom.

thomas

I have not lost any LCC settings when upgrading.
The same goes for my custom made ICC profiles.

LCCs are stored in 2 locations: in the C1 settings folder inside the session and in ~/library/application support/capture one/lcc profiles. Maybe simply copy the latter folder somewhere on your computer as back up.
Custom made ICC profiles are stored in ~/library/color sync/profiles.
Neither of the folders will be overwritten when updating the application.

Of course the LCC menu only displays LCCs for the camera model of the capture that is currently selected. So if you select a P30-file the LCC menu won't show you LCCs of a P45 (and vice versa).
As to the ICC profiles: if you keep the name of the camera in the profile-naming the profiles will show up in the upper column under base characteristics->icc profile. But, again, only for the camera model the selected file refers to. You will still find all the profiles if you navigate to the respective camera-model in the icc-profile list (Adobe, Canon, Epson, File System, Fuji, Leaf ... etc. etc.)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John,

As Thomas alluded to, I suspect the issue is where you end up storing them and/or how you do your C1 updates. Are you using dedicated sessions when you initially create the LCC, or do you edit everything in the default session? When you update C1, do you update the existing version or delete it then install the new?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Bob, EIP works for P-back files, but not the Leica M9, Canon, Nikon, etc. Wayne, I won't say it will happen for sure, but it did happen to me. And, while I'm ranting a bit, Phase One is pushing the various LCC related functions. To do that they have to be saved as presets which gets very stupid after awhile because the list gets really long with a bunch of LCC's that I needed just once.
EIP works for all raw files in recent versions of C1. You'll have to forgive me as I don't remember which specific subversion this was implemented on. But all files can now be used with EIP.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One at 10% off

John Black

Jack - it's all in a default session. When a new release some along, I download it and follow the pop up messages.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I suspect that's where things are getting mucked -- you probably want to save LCC's first if you put everything in the default session, then reload them into the new default session's newly created settings folder.

John Black

Now that I know where the file locations are, I found some things. Part of it is what Thomas said - in the drop down box we only see the ones relevant to current camera. I don't use LCC's all that often, so I had not picked up on that nuance.

A bunch of stuff is missing from the P25 days, but that could have happened with an OS X 10.5 or 10.6 upgrade and I just didn't notice until now. Or maybe during the C1 Pro 4.5 to 5.0 upgrade. I have some or the original raw files used to create the LCC's, but not all of them. All the important images were processed years ago, so they exist today as PSD's. But I was curious how some of those images would look today given some of the improved feature C1 features / functions during the past couple years. On those old images, C1 (5.2.1) displays the error log window saying it cannot generate a preview, etc. and the image was reverted to default settings.

Now that the LCC function is open for other cameras, I'm using it alot on the M8/M9. I want to make sure that I do not lose these files, so similar to what you said Jack, the DNGs used to create the LCCs are now being duplicated and saved in a series of sub-folders by lens.

Also, I need to look into that "settings" folder - I remember that C1 saved my old workspaces and came up with a new default workspace a couple times after apply a C1 update. I didn't think about LCC's being tied to settings / workspaces.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John,

FWIW, one of the *HUGE* strengths of using C1's session structure is that all of your original raw files are saved and cataloged within the session folder, along with all of your C1 edits, and the original raw files are not touched. Thus, going forward you always have the original raws inside that same session folder and can navigate to them even if you're using just the OS file browser.