The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CS3 Upgrade question about moving actions from CS.

Greg Lockrey

I upgraded from CS to CS3 and I would like to find a quick way to move my saved actions. I was surprised that they weren't already there since it was an upgrade vs buying a whole new program. Is there a quick way to do this? I can't seem to find certain actions in the menu and I can't open both Photoshops together either to do a drag and drop. Windows XP platform on a Mac (via Parallels). {Having a major brain fart. :confused:}

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Greg in CS2 get out of button mode. Than highlight the action you want than hit the triangle and you can save that action to say your desktop . Than load CS3 and you can load them back in

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It's been a long time since CS for me, but aren't the actions all stored in the PS application folder? If they are, they might be in a folder labeled "actions" or buried somewhere else. Sometimes, things would be stored in the "Library" > "Application Support" > "Adobe" folder. If you have a hard time finding them, use Spotlight and search for ".atn". It should show you all the actions on your hard disk.

Regardless of where CS stores them, open the Actions panel in CS3, hit the drop down menu in the Actions palette and select "Load Actions" and then navigate to wherever they're stored. Once you load them, they'll be there.

Greg Lockrey

Thanks guys,

Guy... I'm not in button mode. The send to desktop was a good idea though.

TRSmith... I tried doing the search and shows only the Default .atn's for some reason. But I will try the library suggestion.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
For future reference, if you save all of your actions and 3rd party plug-ins into a dedicated folder, you simply re-load them from that location after any CS upgrade. And if you've named that location in your preferences, your plug-ins should load automatically from that folder, though your actions will still need to be re-loaded manaully :)