The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture 3/Nik Software

dkamp

Please excuse this elementary question, but I have not done much work in the post processing arena.

I have an iMac with the standard iPhoto configuration. In order to use software like Nik's Silver Efex Pro, would I have to install processing software such as Aperture 3 beforehand?

I have enjoyed the DPI forums for some time. My thanks in advance for your response.

Best regards...

LJL

The Nik Software products, like Silver Efex Pro that you mention are plug-ins that work within certain other software applications to accomplish things. The plug-ins work with Photoshop, Aperture and Lightroom, but not apps like iPhoto. So if you wanted to use them, you would need to have one of the other apps mentioned. The good news is that when you order the plug-ins, they are delivered to work in all three apps, so if you have PS or LR, it would work with them, meaning you would not have to have Aperture to use them. All are powerful apps that do take a bit more time to learn to use effectively than iPhoto, but you will also get much more flexible results.

(No affiliation with any of the products mentioned.....just a user of all of them except Lightroom.)

LJ

dkamp

LJL,

Thank you for your prompt and detailed response. I can see that my creative endeavors are going to cost me even MORE money!

All the best...

jonoslack

LJ is quite right BUT
if you decide to use Aperture or Lightroom (probably the right decision anyway). Aperture won't seem quite so daunting after iphoto.

Then you can buy a package of all the plugins from NIK at a very reduced price. They will then only work with that application.

for instance, the complete collection (unlimited) is €599, but the complete collection for Aperture is €299. Sounds like half price to me!

all the best

LJL

You are correct, Jono. That is a recent marketing change in Nik Software products, AFAIK. Now one has to select which application Lightroom or Aperture, for the less expensive "complete collection", or pay a hefty sum to have products usable on all (PS, LR and Aperture).

Silver Efex Pro does not seem to have a real equal in either stand-alone products or other plug-ins, while some of the other Nik products features are getting some rivalry from changes in LR and Aperture. I still think the Nik products do an outstanding job for those seeking real and detailed control and adjustments that are hard to accomplish easily or maybe at all with other apps, but it is not a trivial investment in capital or time to get up to speed and use them to their potential. Not a daunting exercise, but if one wants to get very nice results, they are the right tools, in my opinion.

LJ

jonoslack

You are correct, Jono. That is a recent marketing change in Nik Software products, AFAIK. Now one has to select which application Lightroom or Aperture, for the less expensive "complete collection", or pay a hefty sum to have products usable on all (PS, LR and Aperture).

Silver Efex Pro does not seem to have a real equal in either stand-alone products or other plug-ins, while some of the other Nik products features are getting some rivalry from changes in LR and Aperture. I still think the Nik products do an outstanding job for those seeking real and detailed control and adjustments that are hard to accomplish easily or maybe at all with other apps, but it is not a trivial investment in capital or time to get up to speed and use them to their potential. Not a daunting exercise, but if one wants to get very nice results, they are the right tools, in my opinion.

LJ
Well. I still use Silver Efex Pro, but I'm finding that the brushes in Aperture make for less use of Vivezza, and I never much used Colour Efex anyway.

I am finding that it's possible to get decent black and white out of Aperture itself . . .just not so decent :ROTFL:

But I suppose that the advice to the OP is that if he's going to upgrade to Aperture, it would be worth seeing how he gets on with the brushes and adjustments before shelling out large amounts of dosh on Nik products.

LJL

Exactly, and that was sort of my point, Aperture, and even Lightroom (though I do not use it), have come a long way with adjustments and brushes that are starting to challenge the capabilities and results of the third-party plug-ins. Like you, my recommendation would be to get Aperture 3, start working with it for a while both to learn and to experiment, then decide if you wanted to add a plug-in. Like you, Jono, i have found the B/W adjustments in Aperture to be quite robust and good, but maybe not with the fine-tuning and film type capabilities provided by Silver Efex Pro. Still, Aperture as the first step to a more full-featured processing app is a good choice, and since the OP is already using iPhoto, things will not seem very different for a lot of things, and there is the ability to keep using the iPhoto libraries and things also. Aperture can do most of what you will need for very good processing, and it also provides a lot of other features and capabilities, like DAM, bookmaking, slideshows, Web pages, etc., that are a bit more in offering than iPhoto.

LJ

dkamp

My Thanks to You All!

I will take your advice and purchase the Aperture software and see where this leads me. I know both Aperture and Light Room have gotten good reviews, but I think I'll go with the Apple product since that is my operating system.

After installing Aperture, the Nik product may not be necessary, but I'll take it one step at a time and I know Silver Efex Pro will be there if I wish to go further.

Thanks again for your input...

jonoslack

Re: My Thanks to You All!

I will take your advice and purchase the Aperture software and see where this leads me. I know both Aperture and Light Room have gotten good reviews, but I think I'll go with the Apple product since that is my operating system.

After installing Aperture, the Nik product may not be necessary, but I'll take it one step at a time and I know Silver Efex Pro will be there if I wish to go further.

Thanks again for your input...
I'm sure that's the right way forward - and do read as much as you can about Aperture - it's a fantastic program, but best approached with a little foresight!

For instance - you'll find most photographers use 'Referenced' files rather than 'Managed' files . . . . . . . . I'll leave you to carry on from there!

mathomas

I think you'll love Aperture once you get used to the keystrokes. It's very efficient. I used it for many B&W conversions before adding the Nik suite. I also use Photoshop Elements on rare occasions.

I do allow Aperture to manage my files, because I'm not a control freak ;).

jonoslack

I think you'll love Aperture once you get used to the keystrokes. It's very efficient. I used it for many B&W conversions before adding the Nik suite. I also use Photoshop Elements on rare occasions.

I do allow Aperture to manage my files, because I'm not a control freak ;).
Hi Matt
Well, I didn't think I was a control freak either . . . . . . :eek: just jabbed in ribs by wife / children /dog etc. :ROTFL:

The excuse for keeping them separate is that the library simply wouldn't fit on one disk (50,000 images). On the other hand my intention is gradually to whittle this down to about 10,000 images (which would increase the percentage of keepers up to about 0.002% :thumbs:)

all the best