The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Diffuser for use with C1 Pro?

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
What's a good diffuser to use for automated lens corrections and dust spotting in C1 Pro? Would an oversize ExpoDisc white balance filter work?

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Ah! I have some white frosted plastic I use for various things, maybe I'll try to cut a rectangle out of it... I'm a bit concerned with this though because if I hold it up I can see lights behind it as light areas, which suggests it's semitransparent (a mix of diffused and transparent light). I also don't know how neutral it is, but I guess I wouldn't use it for white balancing.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The sheet I use is milky-white and very neutral and about 0.1 inch thick
I can see nothing through it.
-bob

Last edited:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Well, this worked well enough to be worth field testing!

Here's my test; M9 and CV 12 - just a quick test with a little bit of wall and ceiling to tell gradients. Before and after apply the LCC correction:

Basically, it looks like even a fairly plain piece of milky plastic will work just fine! No need to spend $100 on an ExpoDisc...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Well, this worked well enough to be worth field testing!

Here's my test; M9 and CV 12 - just a quick test with a little bit of wall and ceiling to tell gradients. Before and after apply the LCC correction:

Basically, it looks like even a fairly plain piece of milky plastic will work just fine! No need to spend $100 on an ExpoDisc...
Based on a quick look it looks like the center of the image has been disproportionality reduced in brightness. This indicates to me that the plastic is not thick enough to overcome the subject-center-brightness. Ideally the panel should be thick enough (and of the right material/finishing) to only show LENS fall off rather than subject falloff.

That's not to say it won't work 90% as well, just that I do see evidence that it's not ideal.

Expo disk is actually a poor choice for this application as the outside edge of the frame is often slightly vignetted from the edge of the filter. You want something that fits entirely overtop of the lens (so your fingers aren't blocking any light either).

There is a reason we sell a lot of our "cheap plastic" LCC Panels - it's the right balance of portability and opaqueness - the sleeve to keep it clean and the strap to hang from the tripod head or around the wrist are nice bonuses. I assure you it's not exactly a large "profit center" for a small company (where logistical overhead of shipping/stocking/charging/invoicing is not minor) - we sell them because they work well and solve a real world problem and hopefully the customer remembers us the next time they buy a Leica, Phase, Leaf, Arca, Cambo etc.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One at 10% off