The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Expression media ??!

G

GASC

Dear all,

I just spent some of my free time to evaluate the Expression media, as we know it's going to be supervised now by Phase.

I got an immediate question: what the hell is that? I guess Phase has not yet put his engineers at work.

I found the software extremely slow. Can't review a slide show at the speed of light and with Bridge all is immediate.

In fact, I haven't been able to find a task or a file that can not be done better with Bridge.

Am I missing something there? or is it going to be another useless device on the very long chain that vendors will try to convince us that we need that when there is already better.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Expression Media is a catalog manager. Bridge is a folder browser.

For people with large catalogs there is no comparison.

01af

Re: Expression Media?!

I just spent some of my free time to evaluate the Expression Media, as we know it's going to be supervised now by Phase.
The name of the company is Phase One.

I haven't been able to find a task or a file that can not be done better with Bridge. Am I missing something there?
As long as all your images are in one folder, or in several folders all contained in the same parent folder, you can do your digital asset management with Bridge; a full-blown catalog manager won't give you much over that.

But wait until your image archive spans across many folders that are not all part of the same directory tree, on several hard disk drives which are not always online at the same time—then managing your digital assets (that is, digital photos, scans, video clips, audio files, digital drawings and paintings, text documents, and layouts) will become a major pain in the ... umm, rear end when you still try doing it with an under-powered, folder-oriented tool like Bridge. A catalog manager can do it; Bridge cannot.

For most people, the limit where Bridge stops being useable and a real catalog manager becomes urgently required is somewhere between, say, 30,000 and 100,000 image files. As long as your archive's size doesn't exceed that, you can often get away with just using Bridge.

G

GASC

Doug and 01af, thanks.

ps: I used Phase as we use Blad or Hassy for Hasselblad.

I tried what 01af explained and yes, I can see how it operates now and what are the strenghs of E.M

In fact it does not replace Bridge (at least for me) and vice-versa. Each one has it's reason to be.

So thank you for this light on the topic.

Cheers.