The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW Capture One 6.0 Release

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Phase One Releases Capture One 6
-- the world’s most flexible digital photo workflow
now delivers ultimate image quality faster than ever before

COPENHAGEN, December 1, 2010 — Phase One today released Capture One 6, its most advanced professional raw conversion and image editing software. Its incredible flexibility ensures the utmost in creative control, while delivering uncompromising image quality.

Capture One 6 converts raw digital image files from professional digital medium format systems and more than 170 different digital camera models into the most beautiful photographs. Based on the world’s most advanced image processing engine, Capture One Pro 6 supports a comprehensive digital workflow with opportunities to capture, convert, organize, edit, share and print images with excellent color and detail rendition.

Capture One Pro 6 has been built to support an upcoming iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch application called Capture Pilot(TM) that will allow you to wirelessly view, zoom in on, and pan high resolution RAW, JPEG and TIFF images from leading DSLR and medium format camera systems.

A few of the new features in Capture One Pro 6:- Local adjustments – edit selected areas of images non-destructively;
- Black and white conversion -- precisely adjust color channels to create split toning effects when converting to grayscale;
- Keystone correction -- reduces or eliminates perspective distortion while maintaining dimension integrity;
- High-quality, simple to use printing options.

Also available in Capture One Express 6:
The basic version of Capture One is now called Capture One Express. It is a complete yet simplified raw workflow software, ideal for enthusiast photographers. It shares many of the new features in Capture One Pro 6, such as:
- Enhanced metadata support including XMP sync, Auto Load and a GPS link to Google Maps(TM);
- A Loupe tool, which is a powerful magnifier to zoom into an image from 25 to 200 percent;
- Integrated movie import, viewing and handling;
- Search and filter that makes it easy to find, sort and organize images on the fly;
- Advanced, token-based file naming;
- Native 64-bit operation and OpenCL/GPU acceleration for substantially improved performance.

For a complete list of all new features, please see http://www.phaseone.com/features

For a comparison between Capture One Express 6 and Capture One Pro 6 please see: www.phaseone.com/comparison.

Strong Camera Support Backed by Experience
Phase One’s sole focus is photography. As the leading maker of professional medium format camera systems, it is known for its technical innovation and long-term experience in helping the world’s top photographers to achieve the highest possible image quality.

Besides supporting Phase One and selected Leaf and Mamiya medium format cameras, Phase One has developed tailor-made camera profiles in Capture One to support more than 170 different digital camera models, including those from Canon, Epson, Fuji, Konica, Minolta, Leica, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Ricoh and Sony.

Capture One 6 adds support for Canon 60D and S95. For a complete list of supported camera systems, please see http://www.phaseone.com/camerasupport

Availability and Pricing
Capture One 6 for Mac and for Windows is commercially available in two versions: Capture One Express 6 and Capture One Pro 6.

Capture One Pro 6 is available via download for 399 USD and 299 EUR through Phase One’s Online Store www.phaseone.com/store and through leading professional photography dealers worldwide. Capture One Express 6 is available for 129 USD and 99 EUR via www.phaseone.com/store. Capture One Pro 6 and Express 6 are paid upgrades to previous versions of Capture One. Upgrade prices start at 69 USD and 49 EUR.

The Capture Pilot(TM) application will be free, and Phase One will advise when it is available for download.

Please visit Phase One’s Online Store www.phaseone.com/store for other upgrade options.

About Phase One
Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform based medium format camera systems and solutions. Phase One medium format cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One software helps streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and digital cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise. For more information, please visit Phase One at http://www.phaseone.com. Follow Phase One on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/PhaseOneWW

Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne and Shanghai.

Phase One and Capture One are registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

# # #

Worldwide PR Contact:
Kathy Madison
Arcand & Madison PR
Kathy(at)am-pr.com
+1 781-259-1764
www.am-pr.com

Guy Mancuso

I have been working with the beta for several weeks and it keeps getting better and better and also much faster processing. There are some new features that are really nice like spilt toning adjustment layers and such. Have fun

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Main new features:

1) Adjustment layers with brushes for localized editing

2) Full B&W adjustment panel with very cool split-toning option built-in

3) Print straight from C1. And it works fully color-managed in OSX 10.6.5 to my Epson 7900. You do not actually need to process out the final to print it, the raw simply renders as it's sent to the printer.

4) Stacking of Styles

5) Perspective correction (keystoning and skew).

Here is a split-toned B&W I made totally inside C1, nothing done in CS except to add my standard border. Split tone is a very, very light sepia/cool:

Here is another, a 2-shot pano rendered first as individual split-tones in C1, then only merged and border applied in CS5. Again, slight sepia/cool split-toning:

Guy Mancuso

Okay admitting guilt I was working the beta also. This one is almost near infrared in look although i held back from it . If i pushed the green more to the lighter side i may have got close. But i do like this look

This was a split tone with a bias towards red

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, The B&W conversion tools ended up being my number one fave feature.
-bob

ustein

Contributing Editor
Main new features:

3) Print straight from C1. And it works fully color-managed in OSX 10.6.5 to my Epson 7900. You do not actually need to process out the final to print it, the raw simply renders as it's sent to the printer.

4) Stacking of Styles

Here is a split-toned B&W I made totally inside C1, nothing done in CS except to add my standard border. Split tone is a very, very light sepia/cool:

Here is another, a 2-shot pano rendered first as individual split-tones in C1, then only merged and border applied in CS5. Again, slight sepia/cool split-toning:

Jack, you have a good hand for B&W (with all tools)

bcf

I installed the trial Pro version. Am I wrong, or are the local adjustments limited to a very limited subset of tools (exposure, color, sharpening)? Non contrast, curve, saturation, etc.?

SergeiR

Hmm.. May be i was wrong, but i installed trial version over the existing 5Pro, and it basically hangs with spinny ball on the "License" window.. Tried to kill/restart - same deal. Snow Lepard, latest patches installed.. Is it just taking forever, while preparing/rebuilding existed stuff? Jack or Guy - have any of you experienced this with beta? Or its just my usual dumb luck?

Anders_HK

Main new features:

4) Stacking of Styles

Cool. What we really need now is a viewing mode for displaying zones based on the Zone System!

Regards
Anders

Guy Mancuso

Hmm.. May be i was wrong, but i installed trial version over the existing 5Pro, and it basically hangs with spinny ball on the "License" window.. Tried to kill/restart - same deal. Snow Lepard, latest patches installed.. Is it just taking forever, while preparing/rebuilding existed stuff? Jack or Guy - have any of you experienced this with beta? Or its just my usual dumb luck?
We have had some issue for sure. Best bet is clean out the system before installing. I mean CLEAN it out. But for some reason just copying over the old one has worked also. I think through playing with this the real culprit file is in your user /pictures/capture one library. Get rid of that before you install. That was my source of problems but every system is different. Now there was 3 beta's so my head is still shaking. LOL

I have it stable now. Try turning Open GL to never in the C1 preference . Than put it on auto after you get it up and running fine. There some crap shooting in here so be patient. I have had hard freezes several times with the beta's.

Doug has some references on how to clean out the system before you load.

SergeiR

Yeah, turns out it was confused as hell by C1 tethered session folder in my home dir. Once i removed it - it worked out. Playing with it now - definitely feels more snappy

This is a very impressive upgrade, well done Phase One.

Inside the C1 print dialog box, the "ANNOTATION" menu has three choices: None, Description and Filename. "Filename" and "None" work as expected but how do you add text when using "Description"? Or am I misunderstanding how Description is intended to be used.

Paul

GRW

Happy Happy Happy.... C1 6.0:thumbs:

B&W tool is superb, keystone adjustment is fantastic for those us without T&S lenses but for me the local adjustment tool is just awesome.

£60 for an upgrade, an absolute bargain. When your used to spending so much in the MF game , what a nice treat. Feels like Santa came early!

Graeme

bcf

but for me the local adjustment tool is just awesome.
Well... Again, I found that the local adjustments are limited to a very limited subset of tools (exposure, color, sharpening). The contrast, saturation sliders are inactive, no curve, etc. Or perhaps I did not understand how to use this new function?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This is a very impressive upgrade, well done Phase One.

Inside the C1 print dialog box, the "ANNOTATION" menu has three choices: None, Description and Filename. "Filename" and "None" work as expected but how do you add text when using "Description"? Or am I misunderstanding how Description is intended to be used.

Paul
Description/caption field in the metdata.