The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW Capture One 6.0 Release

archiM44

I am extremely pleased with this program. If I could successfully print without having to export to LR3 or CS5 I would be completely happy.
Can't get good prints using my own or even Epson's profiles with printer color management off.Only get decent print using the printer color management.
In LR3 using my profiles the prints match my screen perfectly.
Anybody have any ideas - see my thread
maurice

archiM44

Doug
Thanks for this.
I downloaded the jpeg comparison. On my calibrated screen there is a huge difference in the skintone rendering - I personally much prefer the Capture One rendering which is much less red. But, which is closer to reality which I realize is a very subjective question
maurice

thomas

Only get decent print using the printer color management.
In LR3 using my profiles the prints match my screen perfectly.
Anybody have any ideas
this can have several reasons...
make sure to set your color preferences to "perceptual".
An issue of C1 is it doesn't feature black point compensation for rel.col conversions.

archiM44

The color preference is set to perceptual and turning black point compensation on or off makes no difference.
Could there be a gamma value somewhere in there that messes things up?
Thanks for your reply, maurice

thomas

The color preference is set to perceptual and turning black point compensation on or off makes no difference.
and which RI did you set in the priner tool? Perceptual or rel.col?
BPC only works in conjunction with rel.col.

Re BPC: above I was referring to the regular color conversions in C1, not to the printer tool (where BPC just has been introduced).
The general color preferences in C1 also affect the translation to the monitor profile and depending on (1) your monitor and (2) your monitor profile C1 may clip dark tonal values - this also applies to the preview in the printer tool!
But again, it depends on your monitor and your monitor profile.

Could there be a gamma value somewhere in there that messes things up?
maybe. hard to tell without seeing your monitor, the prints and your color profiles.

steflaurent974

Great update for capture one, Local Adjustment and BW tools are superb, at least !
But why do they put pocess recipes in INCHES : do Danish people use these strange measure units ? This is incredible INCH unit is not an international one, they should have use meter, or in this case centimeters : these are the international measurement units. Hope there will be a correction for this major scientific mistake ! :)

Terry

Great update for capture one, Local Adjustment and BW tools are superb, at least !
But why do they put pocess recipes in INCHES : do Danish people use these strange measure units ? This is incredible INCH unit is not an international one, they should have use meter, or in this case centimeters : these are the international measurement units. Hope there will be a correction for this major scientific mistake ! :)
cm is a choice. Click on the px/in and you get a dropdown with choices.

SergeiR

Tried local adjustment tools - didn't like it, for reason of brush size being utterly small and no fill tools.. But may be I overlooked something..

Also noticed that it get horribly slow after using about 5 spot fixes..

Oh and cursor shape isn't changed properly when you doing spots or pick and switching to other tops panels - feels real funny to click on menus with color picker :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
pixels, inches, cm, and mm.
I wonder how big a pixel is? :ROTFL:
-bob

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Tried local adjustment tools - didn't like it, for reason of brush size being utterly small and no fill tools.. But may be I overlooked something..

Also noticed that it get horribly slow after using about 5 spot fixes..

Oh and cursor shape isn't changed properly when you doing spots or pick and switching to other tops panels - feels real funny to click on menus with color picker :)
Control-click on mac and a brush size dialog appears that allows one to change size and softness. The largest I was able to set to was 4000px.

I haven't noticed a slow down in spot fixes at least about 55 of them (windy dusty day) :shocked:
What sort of machine configuration are you running it on?.
thanks
-bob

archiM44

Thomas,
Thanks very much for your reply.
What makes it hard for me to find the cause, is that if I print the tiff developed in C1 6 in Lightroom3 or CS5 using my paper profiles the resulting prints match the monitor practically exactly, both as to brightness and color. My monitor is calibrated to 80 cd/m2.
If I print from C1 6 letting the printer manage colors the result is much better than using profiles, but not quite as good as using LR3 and profiles.
Are you getting good prints from C1?
maurice

thomas

Are you getting good prints from C1?
I am getting good TIFs from C1... I am printing in a Lab. However I do prepare all the print files myself, also convert the files to the printer profiles here and let my lab print without color management (actually I let them print without touching the file). Works like charm.
As nice as the new printer tool in C1 is... I can't imagine it will replace Photoshop's sophisticated softproof options for me. But as outlined somewhere above I think it should be doable to work with variants with the respective printer profiles set as recipes and consequently print without color managment. If this doesn't work for you I would guess your printer driver is still involved in some way...

archiM44

I get excellent tif's from C1 and printing them from photoshop using the paper profile I made with eye1pro gives me prints that match the screen as shown in both C1 and in photoshop (the screen in both programs is identical)
Thanks again for your information
regards, maurice

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Printing from C1 6
OK, it does work, but there is a secret recipe and procedure you need to follow at least on the Mac
1) Open the print tool /File/Print
2) select your printer
3) Hit the Print settings button then adjust the printer preferences appropriate for the print you are making including the point about turning off color management. When done hit "save"
4) Now, select your printer/paper profile
5) set whatever other options you desire
6) Hit "Print"
7) now here is the tricky part
A "Print" dialog will appear DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE PRINT BUTTON DOING SO WILL RESET YOUR PROFILE SETTINGS AND YOU WILL NOT EVEN SEE IT. I know it is tempting to double check your print settings, but just avoid the temptation.
This is a bug or an awkwardness, but this process seems to work for both Jack and me.
-bob

archiM44

Bob
I tried it using your procedure exactly, but my print is slightly darker than the screen image, which by the way is exactly the same in LR3, CS5, and in C1 6, and the color is ever so slightly off - blue sky is slightly turquoise so either too much cyan in the blue or as you wish too little magenta.
If I develop in C1 6 and then print the tiff using either LR3 or PSCS5 the results match my screen perfectly both brightness and color.
I have even tried making a printer profile by printing the patch images for measuring with my i1Pro out of C1 6 but the resulting profile does not solve the problem.
Because the prints out of LR/PS match my calibrated screens so exactly I guess I will give up trying to print from Capture One.
Regards, maurice