The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW Capture One 6.0 Release

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yep, keystone is huge too. I shot a recent set of table-top product that were all rectangles. I used this tool on every one of them truing them up, never had to hit Photoshop, was a BREEZE to process.

N

nino loss

I upgraded immediately when I read that there was local adjustments and printing out of C1. After more than a week of usage, there had been two things worth to be noted:

C1 v6 is a lot faster here (on a win7x64/16ram/ATI HD5770+new latest driver) even with OpenCL set to NEVER. Unfortunately, when I set it to AUTO it will freeze. Either way it flickers a lot.

I had to delete some *.cop & *.cof files (only where I had problems - strangely not all of the old files?) otherwise C1 would freeze on them, not redraw the viewer or not display correctly in the browser.

Do you have an advise for the OpenCL? (I contacted P1, but they are too busy right now with licensing problems they told me...)

regards
nino

thomas

I had to delete some *.cop & *.cof files
strange, isn't it? Actually these are just image files (and focus mask proxies) but there are always issues with the proxies when upgrading.
I routinely delete all preview and focus mask proxies prior to upgrading C1. Also the batch queue folder in ~/library/appl. support/c1...

Do you have an advise for the OpenCL?
yes - disable it

N

nino loss

strange, isn't it? Actually these are just image files [...]

yes - disable it
but than I'll loose all those wonderful advantages of OpenCL! Do you think that issue will be fixed, is fixable soon?

thomas

but than I'll loose all those wonderful advantages of OpenCL!
if you consider a flickering and freezing screen a wonderful advantage then go for it :rolleyes:

I was very happy with the performance of C1 for my puposes (C1 5.1.2 is slightly faster on my computer than V6... especially processing of files; minor difference though). RE OpenCL I think it is just the beginning and Phase will optimize the feature further.
Me personally I wouldn't profit from OpenCL anyway as I still use the standard graphics card in my MacPro (Nvidia GT 120). But I certainly will not buy a Nvidia Quadro just to use OpenCL in it's current state. Well, maybe I will if the use of OpenCL evolves further and the performance boost really justifies such an investment.
V 6.0.1 is already on its way... let's wait and see.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My .02 >>> If you have a relatively fast computer to begin with, Open CL in C1 (and GL in CS) give you very little in terms of tangible performance boosts, at least in their current iterations. Note too that Open CL only runs with a fairly limited set of graphics cards right now anyway. It made zero difference on my Mac Pro -- reasonably fast 1GB GTX285, but unsupported card -- and the only difference I detected in my MBP was occasional flickering when it was in Auto, versus smooth running when I it off...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The performance and side-effects of OpenCl are partially due to the graphics configuration and the amount of memory installed on the graphics board, partially due to Phase One's implementation of the OpenCL framework, and partially due to the fact that the framework is still a bit new and subject to improvement.
On both my MP(current) and MBP(current-1) OpenCL set to auto seems to work just fine. I do have occasional issues, very occasional actually, but I cannot pin them on OpenCL at the moment.
There is an interplay between system performance, screen size, the camera's embedded jpeg, and the preview size setting that may cause apparent jittering.
There seem to be three phases or refreshes to the main image view.
1) quick low res I suspect derived from embedded preview
2) initial refresh from the capture one preview generated on import or when C1 first notices that it is messing a cache entry for the file
3) final refresh which is based on a fully recalculated image for the current display and image resolution.
If the preferences/preview size is pretty close to your actual displayed resolution in the main image viewer to maybe something like half that, the difference between the second refresh and final refresh is reduced and the apparent flicker as well.
For me, a preview setting from 1400px up works well on a 30 inch monitor. I have settled on about 1200-1400 as it is a tradeoff of speed and storage space but chacun ses goûts.
-bob

N

nino loss

[...]
If the preferences/preview size is pretty close to your actual displayed resolution in the main image viewer to maybe something like half that, the difference between the second refresh and final refresh is reduced and the apparent flicker as well.
For me, a preview setting from 1400px up works well on a 30 inch monitor. I have settled on about 1200-1400 as it is a tradeoff of speed and storage space but chacun ses goûts.
-bob
very interesting! I have to try to play with that setting. For some reason C1 now only flickers at start-up (and I get maybe up to hundred cascading Command prompt windows).

I have set the preview size to the maximum 2600px. Once OPenCL set to NEVER , I do not notice any noteworthy delay for refresh etc, whether in the viewer or in the browser. It's quite instantaneous. That's maybe due to 16GB RAM and the ATI HD5770 (which would be able to handle OpenCL).

regards
nino

thomas

My .02 >>> If you have a relatively fast computer to begin with, Open CL in C1 (and GL in CS) give you very little in terms of tangible performance boosts
but OpenGL in Photoshop is not designed to outsource operation tasks... actually it's designed to enable additional features (AFAIK). Consequently OpenGL in PS can't speed up things... correct me if I'm wrong. But it can slow down things :rolleyes: ... especially when working with multi layer files. But it's quite usefull to view (flattened) images at arbitrary zoom levels (for instance at actual print size) without aliasing effects.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
But it can slow down things :rolleyes: ... especially when working with multi layer files.
Precisely. And for me, the "cool" feature gains are minor compared to the frustrations from added hang and lag caused by it when working on large files. Brush size and feather by drags is pretty nifty though, and *if* I edited a lot, like people/skin, then I might leave it enabled and live with the performance frustrations. Probably a great feature for folks working with web-size images all day, not so great for photographers working with large digital files.

thomas

for me, the "cool" feature gains are minor compared to the frustrations from added hang and lag caused by it when working on large files
the same to me. I am running CS4 and CS5. I do almost everything in CS4 (OpenGL disabled) and use CS5 only to prepare my prints... with OpenGL enabled. So the files come in flattened and that's okay. Working with images a bit larger than 19.000 x 14.000 pixels the 64bit thing helps a lot with sharpening and preparing masks (since Focal Blade is available as 64bit version). Besides, the zoom at print size is working surprisingly well.

lkuhlmann

Hi Nino.

If you are using an AMD 5xxx card under Windows 7, you need the latest AMD driver (10.12) and our - very soon to be released - update to 6.0

Lionel

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I for one find OpenGL with CS5 to be just great with no performance issues with files up to and including 6G. I have not tried anything larger in actual use.
I have no performance issues other than parts of CS5 that are slow with or without OpenGL such as liquify and for that i use the traditional downres/save mesh/history restore/apply mesh work-around.

I am a tablet user and do a lot of skin retouch and find the combination of the brush size/softness as well as pressure sensitive brush dynamics to be not indispensable and very efficient.
So ads far as PS CS5 is concerned, OpenGL is nailed on.

Now OpenCL is another matter completely.
This framework is NOT used by PS as far as I can tell but IS used by C1.
Although OpenCL provides access through its framework to OpenGL features, its primary purpose is general purpose access to GPU multiprocessing for computational tasks.

I do not know (yet) how much of these computational features are used by C1 but I expect that it would be very tempting for performance purposes for the right combination of graphics card and system memory.

I am eagerly looking forward to a future release of C1 with more of this stuff engaged but not nearly as much as a maintenance release to the OpenCL library itself. There are more than a few rough edges.
-bob

<link that would be in my signature if I had one>

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Quoting from the 6.0.1 release notes

Highlights, version⠀6.0.1⠀
This is a service release improving quality and providing support for additional cameras.
Bugfixes
In particular, the following issues are addressed:
• Some high ISO image quality issues.
• A number of OpenCL related defects.
• An issue causing auto select to fail during tethered shooting in some cases (Mac).
• An issue with the application hanging when picking a skin tone in the white balance tool.
• A problem always causing crop to be auto selected on the clipboard even when it is not set (Win).
• An auto levels issue – improved version provide less clipping.

In addition the release contains fixes for a number of other issues.

Camera Support

• Panasonic Lumix DMC LX5 and DMC LX3.

<link that would be in my signature if I had one>

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I simply cannot use Open CL on my machine with C1. I'm running a MBP which is also pushing a 30 Inch NEC wide gamut. My conclusion after many attempts at this is i simply am pushing the graphics card to the max with the NEC. I get scrambled previews no matter what I try and I have tried a lot. I'm hoping since this is the first version really implementing Open CL that it will improve on next update. But right now it is a no go for me.