The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Invisible Watermarks?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
A recent thread over on the Fred Miranda forum was discussing how many of the photos members were posting had been stolen for use on a site based in Spain. In spite of my own philosophy of giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, the reality is, people can be devious.

So I'm beginning to wonder if it makes sense to protect the rights of the photos I post here and elsewhere. Unfortunately, there will always be a way to get around almost anything, but the idea of embedding an invisible watermark seems like a reasonable compromise. (I hate the way the visible watermarks ruin an image.) I know it can be done, just not how to do it. Anyone know the trick??

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The technique works by adding a slight amount of "noise" to your image that can then be decoded with a key.
Currently you can do it once, but there is some work to develop an iterative or multi-layerd scheme that would work for video as well. The iterative techniques are needed to handle the photographer, agency, digital rights, distributer, point of final distribution... marks.
Therere is the digimark PS pluging that you can buy.
There is also this thing I found while googling. No guarantees but here it is http://www.filedudes.com/icemark-download-49673.html
-bob

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Bob. The icemark is PC so won't help me on my MAC (I don't run any PC software on it). Maybe I'll look into the digimark thing.

Cheers!
Tim