The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture 3 now much cheaper

xpixel

Apple has released the App Store Software with OSX 10.6.6 update.. Aperture is now "only" $79...

kevinparis

an absolute steal.... run don't walk to the App store now :)

... and if you don't have a Mac....well think about it :) it effectively just became 120 dollars cheaper

K

NotXorc

wow
but mine was even cheaper. It came FREE with my printer :)

Klaus
Free is better, but only if it does not lock you into bad habits such as relying on a database to store the edits to your raw files. My main gripe with the majors (Adobe LR, Apple Ap.) is that they do not force you to output to a raster image after making edits. While this practice may be data-intensive, it is the only way to insure the integrity of your edits in the long term. It has the additional benefit of allowing you to re-envision your work with future products – and not being locked in to endless paid upgrades from a single vendor.

Have fun with Aperture, but don't lose that iTunes account. :thumbs:

kevinparis

Free is better, but only if it does not lock you into bad habits such as relying on a database to store the edits to your raw files. My main gripe with the majors (Adobe LR, Apple Ap.) is that they do not force you to output to a raster image after making edits. While this practice may be data-intensive, it is the only way to insure the integrity of your edits in the long term. It has the additional benefit of allowing you to re-envision your work with future products – and not being locked in to endless paid upgrades from a single vendor.

Have fun with Aperture, but don't lose that iTunes account. :thumbs:
I am a little confused to what you are saying

OK I agree that the edits/adjustments you make in Aperture/LR are kept within their respective databases - but that is fully understandable as the actual maths done in adjusting an image is specific to a particular application - there is no universal standard for even simple adjustments like brightness, never mind things like sharpen etc.

As for forcing you to save a 'baked' copy of a file... well only you know when something is worth saving - I wouldn't want to be nagged to save a big TIFF file everytime i made an edit - the option is there to save a baked file in Aperture if you wish - but that has to be your decision not the applications.

And how does saving this file allow you to better re envision at a later date on other software? - surely the RAW file - which you will always have untouched by Aperture or Lightroom - it a much better place to start ?

K

kevinparis

This is a steal. But I am still confused on why its listed for $199 on apple store and $79 in Apps Store :confused:

Apple Store:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB957Z/A?fnode=NDQ5MDg0MA&mco=MTM3NDgwOTI

Mac App Store:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aperture/id408981426?mt=12
well I am guessing that Apple are being clever marketing wise with the App store price to

a) raise awareness/shift more copies of Aperture,
b) raise awareness of the App store
c) Sound out whether people will commit to buying software online at that point.

I guess the box price may drop at some point - though i guess the App store price will always be lower.

I am sure Adobe are scratching their heads right now wondering what to do :) - i think boxed software is going to go the way of the the music CD and the DVD over the next few years

K

Terry

There is one issue right now that they need to work out. It is on upgrades for software already purchased outside the App store environment. You really don't want to have to rebuy the App store version.

kevinparis

As far as I know the upgrade price from Aperture 2 to 3 is 99 dollars - so rebuying on the App store is 20 dollars less. The upgrade will probably just be a retail copy with a new serial number... Apparently the download version - purchased by someone close to me - probably to stop me nagging - doesn't even have a serial number

Think the App store is the start of a paradigm shift on how we buy software... Maybe Adobe will get smart and sell a basic Photoshop for less than 100 bucks and then charge for the other bits you need. All of that is possible now with this model.

The software business is a strange beast... 20 years ago I worked for a company making desktop publishing software. The retail price was 795 pounds - the actual cost of manufacture of the box, manual and discs was less than 20 pounds - the manual was the most expensive bit.

The software development cost is the same if you sell one or sell a million - so as you can see there is a lot of wriggle room in the price of software.

K

sagar

I guess, if Apple is planning to sell aperture for $79, they will eventually reduce upgrade cost as well may be around ~$40-$50. Doesn't make sense to sell SW for $79 and upgrade for $99 :D

NotXorc

I am a little confused to what you are saying

OK I agree that the edits/adjustments you make in Aperture/LR are kept within their respective databases - but that is fully understandable as the actual maths done in adjusting an image is specific to a particular application - there is no universal standard for even simple adjustments like brightness, never mind things like sharpen etc.

As for forcing you to save a 'baked' copy of a file... well only you know when something is worth saving - I wouldn't want to be nagged to save a big TIFF file everytime i made an edit - the option is there to save a baked file in Aperture if you wish - but that has to be your decision not the applications.

And how does saving this file allow you to better re envision at a later date on other software? - surely the RAW file - which you will always have untouched by Aperture or Lightroom - it a much better place to start ?

K
It allows re-envisioning at a later date because you have a finished work with which to compare. You may have migrated across any number of software (OS) or hardware (display, etc.) changes before you return to an image. If you've left the proprietary database in your wake, then all the resources you invested in it are gone and only your tiffs and raws remain. My main point was that these monolithic image processing suites invite lock-in. They are very slick though. :toocool: YMMV.

kevinparis

Or maybe the idea of an 'upgrade' price will become a thing of the past - you will just pay the current price to move to the next version - which if it is pitched at something less than current upgrqade prices wont be an issue - plus of course the software company saves lots of money by not having to manage the upgrade process

Also... remember you never actually own a piece of software - you merely buy a licence to use it....and the manufacturer never actually guarantees anything about what it does or what it will do to your stuff - thats effectively what the Licence agreement you agree to says when you install it.

Now do you see why Bill Gates is so rich :)

K

kevinparis

It allows re-envisioning at a later date because you have a finished work with which to compare. You may have migrated across any number of software (OS) or hardware (display, etc.) changes before you return to an image. If you've left the proprietary database in your wake, then all the resources you invested in it are gone and only your tiffs and raws remain. My main point was that these monolithic image processing suites invite lock-in. They are very slick though. :toocool: YMMV.
Still confused - what current workflow/file format doesn't involve a proprietary database/potential lock in of what was done to the original file? Photoshop?.... who says that will be around forever? or that a future application will be able to understand it.

K

sagar

I guess xpixel is more referring close binding to apple. With Adobe one can jump between Apple and Windows if one of them goes for a toss. With Aperture you are stuck with Mac OS and Mac. If Mac closes the hardware shop for whatever reasons, you are really left with your RAWs and TIFFs. With Adobe you at least have a fall back, unless both Bill and Steve decide to close it down together. :rolleyes:

Apple has released the App Store Software with OSX 10.6.6 update.. Aperture is now "only" $79...
Still confused - what current workflow/file format doesn't involve a proprietary database/potential lock in of what was done to the original file? Photoshop?.... who says that will be around forever? or that a future application will be able to understand it.

K

mathomas

The App Store may change the app world. Very exciting development.
I agree. When I first heard about it, I predicted that Apple would offer products for less than usual because "App Store" now has that feel to it (viz: iPhone App Store). Looks like that might come true (?).

Think the App store is the start of a paradigm shift on how we buy software... Maybe Adobe will get smart and sell a basic Photoshop for less than 100 bucks and then charge for the other bits you need. All of that is possible now with this model.
K
Agreed, re paradigm shift. BTW, Adobe already has such a product: Photoshop Elements. I have been using it for years. No way I'm going to pay $600 for full-on Photoshop when Elements does the 20% I need (mostly) for 20% of the price.

mathomas

Or maybe the idea of an 'upgrade' price will become a thing of the past ...

K
I suspect that's what's going to happen. Hopefully, volume will make up the "low" price of software, as we've seen with Apps for the iP* devices.

Also interesting: For OS X, Apple is apparently looking at switching the desktop metaphor to something more like the portable devices as well, using gestures on the touchpad to page between sets of apps, launch apps, etc. It's going to be an interesting ride.