The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Black and White Work - Capture One Pro 6 vs Lightroom 3 and Silver Efex Pro

Z

ZagatoV12

Hi All,

I've just completed a head to head comparison of Capture One Pro Version 6 with Lightroom 3 and a comparable workflow with ACR6 / CS5 / Silver Efex Pro with some very interesting results. I did the work with these current versions of the various applications because I wanted to make sure that I was getting the most from my monochrome conversions, and I got some surprises!

Anyway, if anyone would like to add their view of which they prefer and why I would be very grateful for the benefit of your experiences.

You can find my first impressions of Capture One Pro at:
http://www.theintuitivelens.com/equ...lack-and-white-photography-first-impressions/

The second article comparing Capture One Pro and Silver Efex Pro is at:
http://www.theintuitivelens.com/sof...s-silver-efex-pro-for-black-and-white-images/

The final part comparing Capture One Pro with Lightroom 3 is at:
http://www.theintuitivelens.com/sof...-6-vs-lightroom-3-for-black-and-white-photos/

Please join the debate, particularly if you have examples to share. :)

Cheers

Mike

T

tokengirl

I have not yet tried C1Pro6, so I can't comment on it.

I use Lightroom to process my RAW files, and I use Silver Efex Pro for my B&W conversions. I have used Lightroom for B&W conversions in the past, but at the end of the day, I have found that SEPro gives me better results for the type of photos I do, in a way that is more intuitive (to me) and faster.

The photo you chose in your test converts to B&W well with all the conversion methods you used. There is not a huge difference between any of them.

If you want to see a bigger difference, try converting a landscape with a big expanse of blue sky and some puffy white clouds, maybe even a storm brewing in the distance. Go for that dramatic look where the blue sky is almost black. I can assure you, you'll see a very big difference between Lightroom and Silver Efex Pro - so much so that it'll make you think twice about ever using Lightroom for B&W conversion again.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is a sample of B&W work done 100% in the new C1 v6 using the new B&W tool with split-toning. Here the split is sepia/sepia at differing settings to add depth. The only PS work was adding the borders, all else done in C1:

kevinparis

personal opinion is that any image editing application has the potential to produce great b/w images - its down to first of all having an image with enough information and then to understanding what parameter to adjust

the only advantage one software has over another is the ease with which you achieve the desired result

k

F

FSUnoles

I have not yet tried C1Pro6, so I can't comment on it.

I use Lightroom to process my RAW files, and I use Silver Efex Pro for my B&W conversions. I have used Lightroom for B&W conversions in the past, but at the end of the day, I have found that SEPro gives me better results for the type of photos I do, in a way that is more intuitive (to me) and faster.

The photo you chose in your test converts to B&W well with all the conversion methods you used. There is not a huge difference between any of them.

If you want to see a bigger difference, try converting a landscape with a big expanse of blue sky and some puffy white clouds, maybe even a storm brewing in the distance. Go for that dramatic look where the blue sky is almost black. I can assure you, you'll see a very big difference between Lightroom and Silver Efex Pro - so much so that it'll make you think twice about ever using Lightroom for B&W conversion again.
i just starting using silver efex this week and used on that exact circumstance

before

after in Silverfex (i htink it was wet rocks...and then edited a bit)