The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 6.0 Question

T

tokengirl

Is there a way to invert the curve like you can in Lightroom?

T

tokengirl

I am trying to take a scanned negative and invert it. Actually, it's not really "scanned", it's photographed on a lightbox with a Canon 5DMkII & 100mm macro lens.

Thanks,
Claire

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Sure.
Use the levels tool and drag the bright end all the way to the left and the dark end all the way to the right.
That gets you an inverted image.
I would probably do a linear raw conversion in C1 and then invert and adjust in CS5
-bob

T

tokengirl

Thanks Bob. Works great for B&W film. Works for color negatives too, but if you have any suggestions on how to correct the colors, I am all ears. The white balance dropper on the film rebate helps get rid of most of the blue cast, but the colors are still funky. Purplish skies, brownish cast on foliage, just general weirdness. Looks like I've been smoking something funny. :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Use the advanced color editor along with the inversion to get to your liking, then save it as a style.

T

tokengirl

I will try this. Just as soon as I figure out how to use the Advanced Color Editor. :eek:

Honestly, the only reason I am even trying this is because the white balance slider in Lightroom only goes down to 2000K, and you really need to get down to around 1700K to correct for the orange mask.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Capture One needs their very own Scott Kelby to explain in plain English how to use this software. Or maybe a user interface that is in plain English, instead of little runes across the top of the screen. I am not a druid.

Oh, and BTW, where is the freaking Reset button?
Edit: Nevermind, I just found it in one of the menus.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
there is a fine C1 quick-start guide here
Actually, this is not that hard and is one of the things that is covered at a getDPI workshop. You have a choice of plain English from Jack or me or Jersey from Guy
-bob