The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 6.1 is out

xpixel

http://www.phaseone.com/de-DE/Downloads/CaptureOne.aspx

New Features

The following new features are provided:
• Local contrast and brightness adjustments
• Pen pressure and eraser support
• Getty Images metadata support and import

CameraSupport

• PhaseOne IQ180, IQ160, IQ140
• Leaf Aptus II 12 tethered
• CanonG12
• Nikon D3100 and P7000
• Panasonic DMC-*‐GF2 (preliminary), DMC-*‐GH2 (preliminary),DMC-*‐G2,
DMC-*‐G10,DMC-*‐FZ100,DMC-*‐FZ45.
• Pentax K-*‐5 and K-*‐r

N

nino loss

... and, I noticed, AMD HD5770 now is able to use OpenCL set to Auto
... Overall smoother here on Win 7 x64

In the future it would be nice to get some 5Dmk2 camera profiles, portrait, product ... for the few of us that use that camera

regards

Knorp

OT:
Any one an idea why I keep getting this error message as soon as I try to login or press the download button: Server Error in '/' Application.
Restarted my iMac and also emptied Safari cache, but no luck. I can download the PDFs, though.
Running Safari 5.03 / OSX 10.6.6, but I'm no MAC-wizard I'm afraid :eek:

Any tips are welcome.

stephengilbert

I got that error message the first time I tried, a few hours ago, but I tried again just now and it worked. Maybe the servers were too busy?

Steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Servers were totally HAMMERED yesterday, and it took me over 4 hours to download it(!) But I did get it and installed it on both machines. Too early to really say for certain, but this version seems a bit faster on previews and renders than the previous version.

Knorp

OT:
Any one an idea why I keep getting this error message as soon as I try to login or press the download button: Server Error in '/' Application.
Restarted my iMac and also emptied Safari cache, but no luck. I can download the PDFs, though.
Running Safari 5.03 / OSX 10.6.6, but I'm no MAC-wizard I'm afraid :eek:

Any tips are welcome.
:OT: SOLVED

With thanks to Nino and Steve for their tips I found that deleting all cookies related to captureone and phaseon did the trick.
Took me awhile to figure out were to do this (safari/preferences/security/show cookies), but finally I was able to login again and download the update.

Kind regards.

CharlesK

I am using window 7 64 bit, and could not use open GL with the previous versions. With the upgrade to 6.1, there is no problems. Excellent program! I use it in conjunction with CS5 64 bit with my M9's.

Don Libby

Just completed upgrades to both computers and loaded 6.1 as well. Running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit it's nice to see it open with a note saying it's for 64 bit and no problems at all. I'm still going through all the new things but it's clear to me that C1 is closing the gap between CS5 which I also use everyday.

Don

J

jalfano

i did a clean install on 10.6.5 and my floating tools on a secondary monitor crashed it. either crashed on launch, or would draw the floating tools and then refuse to draw the main window, then crash. launched with default workspace = fine, only then could i switch to the floating tool workspace! process of elimination over a few hours pointed to the color editor tool as the culprit: floating tools workspace with it = crash, without it=fine, and yes, other than that it seems pretty snappy. the other weird thing: walked away for a few hours, came back, and upon launch, got the notice that the current workspace would be saved as a 6.0 and C1 would launch with default! this, after numerous launches! oh well. filed case with phase...

ja

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
i did a clean install on 10.6.5 and my floating tools on a secondary monitor crashed it. either crashed on launch, or would draw the floating tools and then refuse to draw the main window, then crash. launched with default workspace = fine, only then could i switch to the floating tool workspace! process of elimination over a few hours pointed to the color editor tool as the culprit: floating tools workspace with it = crash, without it=fine, and yes, other than that it seems pretty snappy. the other weird thing: walked away for a few hours, came back, and upon launch, got the notice that the current workspace would be saved as a 6.0 and C1 would launch with default! this, after numerous launches! oh well. filed case with phase...
Sounds like you didn't do a true clean uninstall (I know you stated you did but...).

http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/11/20/uninstalling-capture-one-4-on-mac/

If you had done a clean uninstall then C1 would have been using the default workspace (no floating / second window tools).

This doesn't excuse Phase from making upgrades/updates less frustrating for customers. Just wanted to help others avoid the problem you experienced.

If indeed you did really do a completely clean install then there must be a bug and I (and Phase) appreciate you starting a support case so it can be fixed for the next version!!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

thomas

anybody who has a close relation w/ P1 can comment on this :

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9983
http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=9740

this is of course no MFDB related thing, so sorry to bother the audience w/ our lowly cameras, however any ideas as to what is happening will be appreciated.
I do not have a close relationship to P1... however:
What's the issue?
Maybe the color response of the cameras is so close that it simply doesn't make sense to create a separate profile?!
These "camera profiles" are not intended to represent the characterization data of the respective camera. The profiles are based on characterization data but further tweaked to deliver a certain look (obviously a compromise somewhere between "accurate" color reproduction and negative color film). So you should think about them as "camera working spaces"... not as "camera profiles" in the sense of accurate colormetry.
If you are not pleased with the profile for either of the cameras you can edit the profiles (in the Advanced Color Editor) by taste and safe the it as a new icc-profile.

Maybe the color response of the cameras is so close that it simply doesn't make sense to create a separate profile?!
how do you know if you did not profile the camera to test that and if you did - why instead of using that profile (that you allegedly created - otherwise how you can state that it is so close) you will copy the one from another camera, which was using a totally different sensor from another manufacturer (Samsung 14mp in K7 vs Sony 16mp in K5)... for example Adobe found that need to create a different (dng) profile for K5 vs just copying K7...

If you are not pleased with the profile for either of the cameras you can edit the profiles (in the Advanced Color Editor) by taste and safe the it as a new icc-profile.
sure, however you (well, not you... me) want to start with the profile actually created specifically for the camera in question by people equipped to do so - like the developers of the raw converter itself... otherwise why supply profiles at all ? let users scramble to create profiles themselves from the scratch... note that P1 staff is silent about the question both in the forum and in the case logged by K5 user

thomas

how do you know if you did not profile the camera to test that and if you did - why instead of using that profile (that you allegedly created - otherwise how you can state that it is so close)
how do you know they didn't measure the camera? The first set of measurements is not a "profile". There is A LOT of work to do afterwards on that measurement data. Maybe Phase did in fact measure the camera and found the differences so small that they decided to just take the already created profile...? I don't know, but it's a possibility (and not really unlikely).
Maybe Pentax has a kind of pre-developping of the RAW files so that all the Pentax files look similar even if you open it in a RAW software that doesn't provide dedicated input profiles. Who knows.
But the fact that the 2 cameras use the same input profile (which is generic anyway) doesn't tell anything about the reason why Phase decided to use the same profile.

. Maybe Phase did in fact measure the camera and found the differences so small that they decided to just take the already created profile...?
BS - every other supplier including Pentax provided different profiles... and then you can't really tell whether the difference is big or small for the purposes of using it in your raw converter unless you will get the profile done and actually test it that raw converter...

But the fact that the 2 cameras use the same input profile (which is generic anyway) doesn't tell anything about the reason why Phase decided to use the same profile.
it is called "generic" just because P1 does not provided any additional profiles for Pentax, like they do for example for their own backs (and some other cameras) to provide either some specialized pleasing renderings ("portrait") or more precise renderings (to account for tungsten light or flash for example, as ICC/ICM profiles can't be done for multiple illuminants in one file)...

now here is what P1 CSR writes:

Sure this is a bug. Shortly we will release an updated K5 and Kr ICC profile.
-Lionel
now you might actually want to see if everything is correct w/ profiles for your own cameras, Thomas... may be you get shorthanded too :LOL:... that happens w/ people who trust too much.

gogopix

Subscriber
Servers were totally HAMMERED yesterday, and it took me over 4 hours to download it(!) But I did get it and installed it on both machines. Too early to really say for certain, but this version seems a bit faster on previews and renders than the previous version.
Looks like server is now totally down, I logged in ok, got the download screen and got the "Web page not accessible" screen

Victor

thomas

you seem to know a lot about profiling a camera...

now here is what P1 CSR writes:
so it's a bug. fine so.
But your derivation still does not proof why Phase used the same profile for both the cameras. It's just speculation. So you are right... but only by chance.

now you might actually want to see if everything is correct w/ profiles for your own cameras, Thomas... may be you get shorthanded too :LOL:
there are a good many profiles for my cameras. No trouble at all.

It is enough to explore the two profiles, witn Color Sync for instance, to confirm that are absolutely identical. (also produced at the same date and time in 2009).
Cheers,
Ario

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
In many cases, profiles are more for sensors, or rather sensor families of identical characteristics, than for particular cameras. Of course each and every camera made even of the same model is a bit different, but the differences are usually so small as to be negligible at least in recent years.
-bob