The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CornerFix for the M8

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, John, might this be better stuck in the image processing section? Guy, if you move the thread, delete my post ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Good thinking Jack lets move it there much better spot. i was up really to early this morning brain is just starting to kick in. Okay if you don't hear from me in a hour call 911 , going on the roof to put these damn freaking Christmas lights up. Yea honey put the fat guy to go up there and watch him roll off.:ROTFL: and i better not be rolling on the roof laughing my ass off.

sandymc

CornerFix 0.9.1.8 available; better Capture One V4 compatibility

CornerFix 0.9.1.8 is now available for download, in versions for both Windows and the Mac. CornerFix corrects for the "cyan corners" problem on Leica M8 digital cameras when used with IR filters.

This version has the ability to write a non-level compressed file that Capture One V4 will read. Previous versions of Capture One could only read level-compressed files, with the risk of compression artifacts (the "concentric circles") appearing.

Note: Unless you use Capture One V4, this release does nothing for you. (other than new CornerFix Icon, anyway)

This requires an extra option in Cornerfix's options settings. As there now quite a lot of settings, here's quick guide for each raw developer:

1. Adobe applications (e.g., Lightroom): Lightroom will operate with any CornerFix
compression settings. For the best combination of speed, file size and freedom from
compression artifacts, a good staring point is:
a) Level compression: disabled
b) Lossless (Huffman) compression: optional
c) Capture One V4 Compatibility: disabled

2. Apple Aperture:
b) Lossless (Huffman) compression: optional
c) Capture One V4 Compatibility: disabled

3. Capture One Version 4 and later. Note: Do not use these settings with earlier versions of Capture One:
b) Lossless (Huffman) compression: disabled
c) Capture One V4 Compatibility: enabled

4. Capture One Versions earlier than 4:
a) Level compression: enabled
b) Lossless (Huffman) compression: disabled
c) Capture One V4 Compatibility: enabled

The download is at the usual place:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cornerfix

Important notes:

1. Please read the QuickStart document for important information on installation and compression options.

All previous lens profile files (.CPFs), be they those generated on Windows or Mac systems, will work fine with the new version.

Best wishes for the festive season.......

Sandy

jlm

Workshop Member
sorry to be a moron. but when i go to the download page and select the newest version of cornerfix to download, I cannot find a button to press to actuate the download.

Also, how do I pay for this?

jm

Last edited:

sandymc

sorry to be a moron. but when i go to the download page and select the newest version of cornerfix to download, I cannot find a button to press to actuate the download.

Also, how do I pay for this?

jm
jm,

Assuming you're on the "Files" page (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=197345) then just click either CornerFix-0-9-1-8-Mac-Executables.zip or CornerFix-0-9-1-8-Windows-Executables.zip, depending on your system.

CornerFix is free software. But if, after you've tried it, you want to donate to help future development, you can by clicking the "Donate" button in top right hand corner of the page.

Sandy

sandymc

Ok, it turns out that Capture One V4 doesn't only ignore the white level tags, it also ignores the little-endian/big-endian tags in the DNG file.

As a result, CornerFix 0.9.1.8 will not write Capture One compatible flat files from a PowerPC based Mac.

This is fixed in CornerFix V0.9.1.9. Note that this does nothing for you unless you are using Capture One V4 AND are using CornerFix on a PowerPc based Mac.

0.9.1.9 is available in the usual place.

Thanks to Carl Schofield for working through this issue with me.

All Mac users should also please note that if you are have Capture One compatibility mode enabled, you must enable "Display Thumbnails". If you don't, the CornerFix preview pane will have blown highlights.......

Sandy

sandymc

There is a new (Feb 08) version of Capture One V4, Capture One V4.0.1. However, note that Phase One's numbering scheme is a bit confusing - on my Mac, they are:

Old Version: 4.0.14154.14152
New Version: 4.0.1.14900.14887

The release notes for this version list a fix which is "Leica M8: Generating 16-bit DNG appear very dark". I've checked, and they have indeed fixed the 14-bit/16-bit problem that meant that the flat files that CornerFix wrote by default read in as 2 stops too dark. So, for those of you using Intel Macs, you no longer need to set "Capture One V4 Compatibility"

However:

1. The new version of Capture One does not atomatically regenerate its cache files, and until those are regenerated, you will still see a dim image for any existing files. Easist way that I found to do this is to delete the .COP files in the "CaptureOne/Cache" directories. Note - do this at your own peril - there may be a better/safer way to achive the same result.

2. The release note does not mention a fix for the big-endian/little-endian problem on Mac G4 and G5 systems. If you use one of those, you should still enable "Capture One V4 Compatibility"

Note that files previously generated with ""Capture One V4 Compatibility" enabled still work fine with the new version; there's no need to rengerate your files.

Sandy