The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture 1, question from a total newbie

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I thought I'd give Capture 1 a go, and downloaded the trial version. Although it's totally new to me, many functions seem to be very intuitively designed, and I like what I see so far. If I decide to use it on a permanent basis, I assume I would still need PS for some functions (like cloning), but I have a couple of questions to those who have used C1 for a while:

- What do you feel is the advantages/disadvantages using C1 compared to ACR/LR and/or Aperture.
- When I open images as TIFF in PS directly from C1, they look like they have a blueish tint when I view them simultaneously on the same monitor. Is it my eyes, my brain or is it supposed to look like that?

Terry

Jorgen,
Sounds like perhaps a mismatch on color spaces. I'm only on my iPad right now but there is a tab for process recipes and you need to make sure you are highlighted (not checked) on the correct colorspace. Sorry, hard for me to describe. There are tons of tutorials on the phase site. This is a good place to go for info

http://blog.phaseone.com/

pfigen

"What do you feel is the advantages/disadvantages using C1 compared to ACR/LR and/or Aperture."

To my mind, the main advantages are a very fast, intuitive workflow that allows you to blast through a ton of images in a very short time, but also one that gets you faster to great color and tonality than any other raw processor. CaptureOne also has, hands down, the best color fringe removal anywhere. It's simply magical. Downside is that it still is considerably behind ACR/LR in terms of high ISO noise control, despite claims made to the contrary.

"When I open images as TIFF in PS directly from C1, they look like they have a blueish tint when I view them simultaneously on the same monitor. Is it my eyes, my brain or is it supposed to look like that?"

You do need to get all of your calibration, color management bits in order. The images should be virtually identical viewed side by side in C1 or Ps. If they're not, it indicates a profile problem, or you may be opening the file in Ps, but your Ps preferences are somehow allowing you to assign the wrong profile upon opening.

Make sure that, in the Output section of C1, that you set the proper file type and bit depth, but also choose the output profile of your choice - usually something like AdobeRGB or one of the other common Ps working spaces. Then, check your Ps color settings and Profile Policies to make sure that you are opening the files using what ever embedded profile the file has been tagged with, regardless of RGB working space you have as your default. One image should NOT look bluer than the other.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you for the information regarding colour settings. That makes sense.

Another question:
I have organised all my photos in folders wit dates and names on external HDDs. When I make new sessions in C1, the program copies all the files into a new folder that it links to its own files. Is there any way that I can make C1 use the existing folder/files for that, or do I have to let it do its job and then delete the old folder?

I'm rather impressed with what C1 gets out of the GH1 RAW files btw. Great colours and detail. The OOC jpegs look like mud in comparison.

pfigen

Jorgen - You can just point CaptureOne to whatever folder of RAW files you wish. You don't need to make a new "session" if you don't want to. In fact, I've been using C1 for close to ten years now and always hated the concept of sessions. C1 will make the folders it requires to operate in whatever folder you do point it to, but that's not really a problem. Just make sure to designate your Processed folder in the Processing Tab - to be wherever is most convenient for you. It can be anywhere you want it to be. It does not have to be whatever the default location is. For the most part I use a common "Processed" folder for most images that is also one of my Favorites in Bridge, where it's all instantly accessible there.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, pfigen. I assume that, should I choose to use two different tools, like C1 plus Aperture, for organising/processing of RAW files, I can actually do so, since each software doesn't interfere with the original file, but stores the changes/modifications in a separate file that points to the RAW image?

pfigen

Jorgen - You should be able to do that without a problem, but I don't know how Aperture deals with the odd files that C1 generates. I've been using Extensis Portfolio since about the middle of 1995 and continue to use that today as it can catalog almost any type of file I can throw at it including video and audio files.

It's not really that critical that you actually catalog all the support files though. If you are archiving your raws with the support data, those folders will be there even if you don't actually log them in. And seriously, for the majority of my files, even if I do go back to them at later dates, I just pull the raw file and re-do whatever adjustments I might have made, figuring I can probably make them better today with better tools than I had previously.

The files I work on, either commercial or personal, are generally processed into high-bit tiffs which are then extensively massaged. Those files stay on a 2TB mirrored array (self backup) on my main imaging computer until the job is definitely done and I won't be using the files on a regular basis. After that, they are archived and at that time, catalogued in Portfolio. I recently switched from burning multiple DVDs of everything to a Drobo, which has been a dream to work with. The optical disc route had finally become just too cumbersome, slow and unsure after nearly 2500 discs and over 170,000 files cataloged.

Peter

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You can simply create a new session using the parent image folder's name and location, and you'll have all the existing images inside it, it's that simple. The problem with using a generic "session" for all older image folders is your settings folder for that generic session will get HUGE, since it stores data for every image you look at.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
You can just point CaptureOne to whatever folder of RAW files you wish.
I have been playing with C1Pro6 pretty much non-stop since early last week... can you explain how to do this pointing you refer to? As I am learning the software, I am finding that comparisons with Aperture's output is very helpful, so to have both softwares pointing to the same set of source files will be very useful.

Even the detailed LL tutes do not cover so many essential aspect like this one, IMHO.

and (@Jack): like GM, I have folded on the "keep original folders clean" POV. After thinking about it, archiving is definitely cleaner/neater/future-proofed if all required files travel with each other and (like Peter above) I output processed images to another drive in any case.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Kit I think this is what your looking for. After pulling my main folder off a external since i like to work from the desktop drive all I would do here is click on the .col50 file and C1 will open up exactly where I left off with all my adjustments still in tack and my virgin Raws are in the March folder and all my finals are in the Output folder. So the Phx Youth At Risk 03052011 is my main folder. I file by job name and date so I create that session with that title than import in.

timwier

Just started working with Capture One and (coming from Aperture) and the software just doesn't seem as intuitive as Aperture or Phocus.

I have a basis question - how do you simply export a file (TIFF or JPEG) @ various sizes to manipulate. I have looked and looked cannot find a way to export a file other than the web view.

Thanks,

Tim

Guy Mancuso

Tim you need to go to the processing tab circled at top than create a processing recipe like the high res tiff you see than process that out according to your parameters . Make sure the box is checked and highlighted where you see the High Rez Tif recipe i created. Hit command D and it will process to where you designate. Little tough to write this out much easier to show you

timwier

Thanks Guy, very helpful.

Another basis question - and I did look through the CO manual before asking... what does "process" mean in CO. When processing an image the software seems to be doing something for a several secound, but I can't figure out what.

Thanks again,

Tim

Guy Mancuso

It is converting it from a RAW file into either a Tif or jpeg with the settings and adjustments you apply for output. I think that is what you are asking

schuster

I too am a C1 (DB) newbie, coming from about a decade of Hasselblad FlexColor and Phocus, and more than two decades of Photoshop. Asking all colleagues here... What C1 settings, customizations and workflow have become your standard setup with a print as your primary output?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Seriously, most of my initial C1 settings are back/camera dependent. For every camera I own, I have a set "style" which includes all of the following presets as my import standard adjustments: Camera profile, film curve, WB, sat, sharpening and NR. Note the sharpening and NR are ISO dependent as well as Sensor+ or not, so I may have as many as four different styles for any given back.

Hence it is difficult to answer your question directly without more information. I highly recommend attending a webinar -- or better yet a basic 1-day workshop on C1 -- they will save you hours of frustration.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I highly recommend attending a webinar -- or better yet a basic 1-day workshop on C1 -- they will save you hours of frustration.
We have an online screen sharing based Intro to C1 for Landscape coming up
Capture One Online Class.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)