The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pen Tablet - Do you use it?

haring

Pen Tablet - Do you use it for photo editing in Lightroom, Photoshop, etc...? Did it improve your post processing work flow?

Diane B

Meaning like a Wacom? I've used one for years, going through 3 by now. I can't imagine working in PS without it and I do use it in Lightroom esp for masks/gradients but since I'm so used to using one I use the pen for almost everything in preference to a mouse or ball.

Diane

Lisa

Diane, how long did it take you to get accustomed to it? I got a Wacom Bamboo tablet several months ago, tried using it for about a week for routine tasks, and during that week never got to the point where I could do anything at all quickly, reliably, or without extensive cursing (at last as much cursing as I ever do, which isn't too much ;-) ). Did you practice with it for longer than that until you got used to it, or did it just work better for you right away? (I sometimes wonder whether I should give it more of a chance...)

Lisa

Aztecaphoto

I´ve used 3 by now. None of them stop to work, just changing models.
I can´t imagine working without a small tablet. Larger tablets forces you to move your hand widely, so the small ones are more "mouse movement" alike. But with a pen, your hand is not "folded" like a claw! (After retouching 50 portrait large files, believe me it will be....)

Lisa: Maybe you have to set your preferences for the wacom tablet. At the beggining, I started with the "defaults", but after a while I realice that arrow movements were slow, so maybe you can try.

Saludos

haring

Diane, how long did it take you to get accustomed to it? I got a Wacom Bamboo tablet several months ago, tried using it for about a week for routine tasks, and during that week never got to the point where I could do anything at all quickly, reliably, or without extensive cursing (at last as much cursing as I ever do, which isn't too much ;-) ). Did you practice with it for longer than that until you got used to it, or did it just work better for you right away? (I sometimes wonder whether I should give it more of a chance...)

Lisa
Excellent question! :):):)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
My own experience is quite different. I bought the tablet thinking it would allow me to make much more accurate and detailed selections. Maybe it's some kind of inborn thing, gene trait, cellular memory, or whatever but I could not get even close to the speed and accuracy I do with my mouse. After all the buying research, setup, practicing, cursing, and moaning, I threw the thing on the shelf and that's where it sits.

So... everyone is different. I wish I could make the tablet work for me and I'm jealous of those who can. But having tried it, I know it is not for me.

S

Stoney

I use a tablet and the mouse. It depends upon the task. Using the mouse alone is hard on your wrists after a while.

I use a Wacom PTZ-630 at home and use it especially when I need to do things that require drawing like movements such as painting with the healing brush ans clone stamp as well as regular brushes. You need to start learning the keyboard short cuts such as J for healing brush, L for lasso, S for clone stamp, B for Brush and V for movement. These shortcuts will be revealed if you hover over the tool for a while.

I will probably buy a smaller tablet to bring with me on the road

Diane B

I've had mine for so many years I honestly don't remember--my first was so long ago it was hooked parallel port and I had to upgrade finally because I couldn't get a driver anymore (no, they don't "quit" I don't think). I do have an older Bamboo too that I carried for week long shoots until I retired frim commercial shooting. Still I would say stick with it. Its eye/hand coordination and usually just clicks in after a bit. Be sure your tablet is sized to match your monitor size so that corner to corner they are the same.

I can do very fine touchups, very fine selections and like said above no claw hands. Its really hard to describe but it becimes intuitive. You might also want to check your driver settings to set the flow speed, tap, etc to customize for yourself.

Good luck with it.

Jeremy

The Wacom Intuos4 offers a wide variety of hot keys and programming--I don't need a keyboard when working with images unless I'm dealing with file names and the like (and then I am using Dragon voice-to-text).

Aztecaphoto

Pen Tablet - Do you use it for photo editing in Lightroom, Photoshop, etc...? Did it improve your post processing work flow?
As I said, the smaller the better. Try the small Bamboo tablet. I have the pen and touch version, but never use the touch function.
The Intous line is great, but too big for me.
As mentioned, you can twist the preferences and make them to work for you.

Saludos

Lisa

One additional problem of the tablet compared with a mouse for me...
I have a cat who sometimes likes to walk around the desk as I work, and she was too often stepping on the tablet, causing random bizarre things to happen! :wtf:

Lisa

A

AtLProPhoto

I use a monoprice 12x9 and it is the perfect tool for me editing weddings. I had used wacom tablets for years but until my last one went out and I decided to try the monoprice for less than half the price for twice the size of the tablet. I will never go back to wacom. I have better control and wonderful response from this new tablet without the expense.

pfigen

Certain tasks like drawing intricate Paths are easier, faster and more accurate with a mouse, while painting, cloning and healing tend to be faster and more fluid with a pen. Since I draw left handed and mouse right or left, I keep the Wacom on the left, the mouse on the right and my non-ambidextrous friends are in continual wonderment, while trading off enough chores between hands to fend off carpal tunnel for another week or so.