The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Two weeks comparing C1Pro's and Aperture's output

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Now, I know that the other preferred software here at GetDPI is Lightroom, but I have been an Aperture convert since the debut of ver. 3. It is slick; it has many brushable adjustments, and as a native Apple software, plays seamlessly with Final Cut Pro and the rest of the 'Pro Apps'.

Enter C1Pro: I stayed away from 3, then 4 (although I owned full versions) only because of the many bug reports I was seeing on the forums. 5 came and went too quickly for me to get into it, and then 6—and on the recommendation of many here, I decided to dive in.

Initially I found myself resistant to the notion of sessions, probably because I don't shoot tethered (although if someone knows how to do this with the A850, I would love to use this feature). I am shooting a lot of instruments (cellos and guitars), and being able to check focus and reflections at full rez on screen would be SO good, but C1 does not support this body (apparently, Sony does not provide SDK files to them). I digress.

To get to the point: I shot a very expensive cello for the fourth time yesterday in the studio; trying to get 6 partial images with 6 lighting setups (each partial image showing no shadows/highlights) that I could layer and progressively erase in PS. That part went fine. Then, the client (who loved the colour and detail from the C1 files, shot under flash) asked me to match the front of the cello to the back, which had been shot two weeks ago, with compact fluorescent bulbs in small reflectors (at that point, I was trying for a four-light setup to get the image in one shot). Needless to say, the Aperture files were yellow-green in hue, even after WB on a color checker card. I got the colour as close as I could, but was not happy.

On a impulse, I decided to point C1 at the same raw files. What a difference! Despite that experimental setup being lit by compact fluros, the C1Pro images, with no adjustment at all, were almost a perfect match for the latest flash-lit images. To say I was amazed was an understatement.

Anyway, I am a convert; I can see that this software thinks quite differently to the others I know well (ACR, Aperture); the pre-sharpening is spot on; and the adjustment layers work well, too. But the most impressive aspect for me is the accuracy of the colour, without tweaking. Probably sining to the choir here, but thought I would add a small voice.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
OK, I just wanted to update yesterday's post.

I can now shoot tethered using Sony's remote control software. Although designated as being "only" for the A700, it works perfectly with the A850.

The really exciting thing for me is that I set up a test folder on the desktop, enable "Hot Folder" in C1Pro, and use the RCC to focus and shoot.

Images are downloaded into the folder, and previews appear magically.

This capacity is so exciting for me and it means that I can sell the last of my Nikon gear (I re-bought a D700 to use Live View with the 14–24/2.8 and the 24 PC-E).