The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

choosing a wacom tablet...

archivue

i cannot decide between different models...
for photo retouching, i'm not shure a large one is a good idea !
i've made a selection... can you help me for the final choice ?

Thanks

Bamboo pen and touch
147x92mm
70 euros

Bamboo special edition Medium
190x130mm
170 euros

Intuos 4 Medium
224 mm x 140 mm
280 euros

Jeremy

I haven't tried the pen & touch, it might be neat, but I *love* my Intuos 4 Medium. Between that and the new Adobe Nav I don't use a mouse or keyboard at all in Photoshop-- my wrists thank me.

I'm thinking of getting the bluetooth one myself to get rid of one more cord.

edit: I would suggest getting a Bamboo Touch (or Apple Magic TrackPad http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC380LL/A ) and a Wacom Intuos 4 Medium , the wireless one. Yes, this is the most expensive option, but this is the route I'm on.

gazwas

Prefer the cable version as its more reliable and against what seem to be the recommended norm I use the large Intuos 4. personally I like to move my arm when painting and drawing etc as its less strain on the wrist and feels more fluid to me.

The large version takes a lot of desk space up but I no longer use a mouse and exclusively use the tablet. It took me a couple of hours use to get used to the feel of the tablet. Now however, I would never go back to a mouse for use in editing having owned the Wacom and would buy the large version again without hesitation over a smaller one.

Professional

I also prefer the cord versions, i bought few wireless/cordless mouses and didn't like them, so i use all wired mouses and never look back.
I bought first Intuos 4 large and later bought the intros 4 small, i didn't use any of them because i don't retouch my photos good or long enough at all, but i feel that the medium size is the best and not sure if i should buy medium version and give my kids my small version, but i was thinking about Cintiq versions of Wacom, are those better or not?

arild

I have the Bamboo Pen&Touch, and love it. Thinking of going to a bigger tablet, though, as I get caffeinated in the evenings, and a larger tablet would allow for some more shakes - I would need larger movement for creating lasso marks and such. I´d really recommend the Pen&Touch, either way. Good way to get started, and it´s really not that difficult to use. I´m going to throw my Magic Mouse out of the window some day.