The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Asset Management

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
When I used to use Lightroom (I don't any more), I kept it's reference libraries on a dedicated partition of a large disk, referencing the actual files across the multiple image database drives. The library files were not all that large so I had the library included in the Time Machine back up routine. Seemed to work fine, though I never actually needed to use it. But definitely a good strategy to consider for library back-ups IMO.

jonoslack

When I used to use Lightroom (I don't any more), I kept it's reference libraries on a dedicated partition of a large disk, referencing the actual files across the multiple image database drives. The library files were not all that large so I had the library included in the Time Machine back up routine. Seemed to work fine, though I never actually needed to use it. But definitely a good strategy to consider for library back-ups IMO.
Hi Jack
I do the same with Aperture - the library (about 50gb) stays in the pictures folder on my hard drive - the images take up about 500Gb on an external drive.

Both are backed up via time machine.

This is fine, as it means that if I go on a week's trip, I can copy the library to the Pictures folder on my 17"MBP, and take the 1tb hard drive with me. On my return, I only need to copy the library back to the desktop and plug in the hard drive . . simple.

David K

Workshop Member
Am I missing something or is metadata entered in one program, say Aperture, not imported/recognized by another, say LR. If that's the case, it sure puts a lot more weight on deciding which program you're going to use.

jonoslack

Am I missing something or is metadata entered in one program, say Aperture, not imported/recognized by another, say LR. If that's the case, it sure puts a lot more weight on deciding which program you're going to use.
Hi David
I'm pretty sure that there is a way of 'exporting' RAW projects from Aperture to include the metadata - but I don't think it's added by default.

I think that it's a really big decision to make, and not one to go back on lightly.

LJL

There is an option to export metadata from Aperture, as Jono mentions. I have not tried doing this yet, so it may be worth experimenting.

I have seen Aperture pick up metadata that I added from Bridge, but I have not looked for things going the other way.

This is worth thinking about, as if you do a lot of keywording and such in Aperture, being able to retain that work with exported files for use in other apps is important.

LJ

David K

Workshop Member
Since none of us started with Aperture does this mean that all the years of entering keywords, captions, etc. that were done with other programs like Photo Mechanic are not searchable within Aperture. LJ, glad to hear Aperture has picked up metadata from Bridge.

LJL

Since none of us started with Aperture does this mean that all the years of entering keywords, captions, etc. that were done with other programs like Photo Mechanic are not searchable within Aperture. LJ, glad to hear Aperture has picked up metadata from Bridge.
David,
If I get a chance later, I will test some things. I think Aperture can pick up most of the metadata. Some of it may not be applicable, such as color coding from other apps, since it does not use color coding. (It may still hold the data, however, just not have a way to use it.)

You can check this by going to an image, selecting the Metadata tab, choosing the IPTC -Expanded part, and then going to the the little "gear wheel" and selecting Edit Meta Data. That will bring up a list of all the meta data that can be displayed, and you can then select what you want included in the Aperture display. The list is quite long, and does include Keywords and other stuff, but did not see colors or ratings. Those may be in conflict with how Aperture uses that info itself. Really do no know, but at least you can get an idea of what can be used.

LJ