The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Almost ready to throw in the towel with capture one

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
This is the pits.
I have two versions
1) C1 4.1
2) C1 db 3.7.9

4.1 at the moment gets my most unstable application known to man award
3.7.9 gets my almost unusable by mortal men award

Does anybody know how to move around c1 directories without causing 4.1 from terminating without explanation?

No matter what I do I can't seem to get 3.7.9 to WB tethered and hold the WB frame to frame.

I can't seem to get 4.1 to work tethered with the P45+ without causing the AFD to lock up with strange "db busy" messages that wont go away until I turn off camera and back then back on and then reformat the card and then turn off and back on back and then camera.

I hear that this camera behavior might get better if my AFDIII ever shows up but I don't believe it since it doesn't seem to happen with 3.7.9.

So tethered is out to lunch.
Oh, 4.1 is fine for viewing all sorts of files of various cameras except those that cause it to crash, like layered tiffs and who knows what.
3.7.9 db doesn't crash so often but it won't display files that it doesn't support which is everything.

Oh, I did a big shoot yesterday and rated images with the folks who were the subject of the shoot after downloading them into a directory using 4.1. After sorting things out, I moved the keepers directory complete with the capture one directory graffiti across the network to the computer upstairs with the intent of preserving the metadata. Is it unreasonable that two instances of capture one be expected to read the same metadata?
Nope, all it does is crash.

I can't seem to be able to conveniently use LR or acr on the P45+ files because it gets the exposure interpretation all wrong.

I usually find ways to work my own way around software, but this is just nuts.

With sincere frustration
-bob

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I have given Doug a heads up on this Bob. The simple thing I can offer assistance on is: "No matter what I do I can't seem to get 3.7.9 to WB tethered and hold the WB frame to frame."
In 3.7x once you have the white balance set , click the little camera icon on the left hand side of the gray balance menu, when clicked it uses the current WB set for subsequent captures.
L

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Capture Integration
[email protected]

David K

Workshop Member
Bob,
I'm sure it wasn't your intention when posting this but I must confess it made me laugh so hard I nearly cried. Those awards... OMG that is just too funny. I used C1 for years until they confused me with the two separate programs and I couldn't remember which was which and they seem to work differently... too darn confusing for me. In fairness though, the conversions are among the best available and I've seen Doug work magic with this program. The problem is that Doug doesn't live with me :) My apologies for laughing at your anguish but I can't help it... it's hilarious. BTW, I think Jack and Guy have gotten themselves a good workflow with this program so you might hit them up for some advice too.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
David,
That is what was so frustrating. My workflow is fine, but when I pick up my hammer I don't expect it to explode.
I really do prefer the C1 conversions to almost anything else I have used, that is when it works.
The 4.1.1 version has I have found the most annoying combination of centralized database as well as distributed settings files strewn throughout your disk space. It turns out what was killing 4.1 is a little file located at the root of the Capture One Library directory named "Capture One.cop". What this little file is, JACK ARE YOU LISTENING?, is an SQLite database. It contains all sorts of things such as paths to favorites and apparently the persistent state of C1 and paths to all of the cached previews, which are in true C1 fashion scattered to hell and gone. It seems that if anything happens that causes C1 to think that this file is inconsistent, then it will simply terminate. I have found at least two different things that cause this file to cause C1 to go blooey.
Now if they had all of the state in this one database then I can think of several ways of ensuring its integrity, but with scattered state and the appearance that C1 is tracking file paths instead of inodes means that a simple drag and drop can cause it almost undetectable damage.
Anyway, I now know how to resurrect C1 4.1.1 after it crucifies itself and thank goodness it takes less than three days, but it does come back a little flaky and does suffer a loss of memory here and there, but damn, those conversions are nice.
Now if C1 would only adopt xmp or exif norm ways of storing ratings and so forth then we might have something that might approach interoperable in metadata too.
Probably too much to ask.
-bob

jonoslack

David,
That is what was so frustrating. My workflow is fine, but when I pick up my hammer I don't expect it to explode.
I really do prefer the C1 conversions to almost anything else I have used, that is when it works.
The 4.1.1 version has I have found the most annoying combination of centralized database as well as distributed settings files strewn throughout your disk space. It turns out what was killing 4.1 is a little file located at the root of the Capture One Library directory named "Capture One.cop". What this little file is, JACK ARE YOU LISTENING?, is an SQLite database. It contains all sorts of things such as paths to favorites and apparently the persistent state of C1 and paths to all of the cached previews, which are in true C1 fashion scattered to hell and gone. It seems that if anything happens that causes C1 to think that this file is inconsistent, then it will simply terminate. I have found at least two different things that cause this file to cause C1 to go blooey.
Now if they had all of the state in this one database then I can think of several ways of ensuring its integrity, but with scattered state and the appearance that C1 is tracking file paths instead of inodes means that a simple drag and drop can cause it almost undetectable damage.
Anyway, I now know how to resurrect C1 4.1.1 after it crucifies itself and thank goodness it takes less than three days, but it does come back a little flaky and does suffer a loss of memory here and there, but damn, those conversions are nice.
Now if C1 would only adopt xmp or exif norm ways of storing ratings and so forth then we might have something that might approach interoperable in metadata too.
Probably too much to ask.
-bob
HI Bob
If it's that good, then you don't deserve it, and it's your duty to ditch it for something else . . . anything else!!!

The fact that you can sort it out is not a credit to it, it's a credit to you!