The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question for MAC users: Lion today?

Braeside

OK, I relent, I will install Lion on my wee MBP (after taking a SuperDuper! Clone).

If I still hate it after a week I will revert to SL.

(I can resist everything but temptation).

monza

No issues so far.

Recovered 1.25 GB of storage by using Monolingual (this makes a difference on an MBA)

Godfrey

went adventurous, cloned my startup hard drive last night, and did the dirty with Mac OS X Lion and Xcode 4 today.

----
Both Lion and Xcode 4 installers downloaded and installed, about 2 hours each. A couple of minor incompatibilities at this point, but nothing serious. Everything seems to be working well.

I'm a little irritated that you have to go back to the App Store to re-download the Lion installer if you want to have it for installation on another drive.

Can't say how the performance is until all the Spotlight indexing and Time Machine backup work finishes running. Right now, aside from Safari, they're all that's running and are taking up 30-60% of the compute power available. It's still not bad at all, really.

Lightroom 3.4.1 worked just fine, as did my Chronosync photo backup system.

I like the new Mail features, most of them anyway.

Most irritating silliness was that the Magic Mouse scrolling was inverted by default. I switched it to work the other way, now everything works as I expect it too.

I'll have to keep a Snow Leopard boot system around until Xrite updates the Eye One Display 2 software, but such it is.

onwards ...

mach330

do we need snow leopard? i believe i have only the old leopard . or do we need to go to snow leopard then to lion?

Godfrey

It doesn't seem to work like the disk image of other upgrades. Once you start the download it wants you to continue all the way through installation. I don't see where there is a saved image unless you then clone to another drive but then you could simply just download again from the App Store.
The App Store downloads an application installer app for Lion, does the install, then deletes the installer app. You can force the App Store to download another copy of the app to use for installing on other drives, I don't see a way to have it download just once. A bit of a pain, but it works ok.

Cloning with SuperDuper! Saves time and recreates bootable copies of your configuration, but it's not the same as having a pristine fresh copy of the OS available to do a fresh install and configuration with.

bensonga

I'm still very happy with Leopard. At first glance, I'm not that interested in what Lion has to offer.

I suppose it might be time for me to "upgrade" to Snow Leopard (if it's not too late).....have the bugs been worked out of Snow Leopard, or did Apple just move onto something "new and improved" in the meantime?

Gary

Godfrey

I'm still very happy with Leopard. At first glance, I'm not that interested in what Lion has to offer.

I suppose it might be time for me to "upgrade" to Snow Leopard (if it's not too late).....have the bugs been worked out of Snow Leopard, or did Apple just move onto something "new and improved" in the meantime?
I've been running Snow Leopard since last Spring when I bought my Intel-based systems. I never found any bugs of significance. Snow Leopard runs noticeably faster on Intel machines, and consumes less RAM in the process.

Lion has many new technologies under the hood and quite a few changes in UI that fuses some of what they've learned with the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad into the desktop user experience.

(For instance, under the hood, I see Lion doing much more efficient RAM allocation and clean up after doing editing with Lightroom and Photoshop. Big chunks of allocations from both of them that used to hang around for a while or never get freed unless you logged out now seem to clean up very quickly, maximizing free space. UI-wise, I like the changes they've made to the Mail application (and the fact that they're configurable) and find the new scroll bars and scrolling action with gestures in apps very neat and clean looking.)

Whether the changes are all to any individual person's tastes or not, this is the latest offering in UI and OS development from Apple. So far, my experience is all positive: the installation went smoothly and swiftly, everything seems clean and logical.

Performance is a question mark as yet ... I don't see too much difference in most things, some things I think it's a little snappier, some things seem a trifle slower.

Nothings crashing or making me feel like I need to re-clone my Snow Leopard system back so far.

You'll need Snow Leopard to get Lion ... I'd suggest getting it soon if you don't already have it.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Performance is a question mark as yet ... I don't see too much difference in most things, some things I think it's a little snappier, some things seem a trifle slower.

Nothings crashing or making me feel like I need to re-clone my Snow Leopard system back so far.

You'll need Snow Leopard to get Lion ... I'd suggest getting it soon if you don't already have it.
Hi Godfrey
on the basis of your posts I'm installing it right now - if it doesn't work out you'll start feeling sharp pains in about 3 hours:D

Godfrey

Having fun this morning experimenting with the touch expressions on the laptop pad and using the apps full screen on the MBP13" screen rather than connected to the 27" display. I'm liking it! It's a nice integration of the touch-based UI from the iOS with Mac OS X so far.

Things to keep in mind with regard to upgrading:

Remember that Lion is 64-bit all the time and no longer supports Rosetta (PowerPC emulation). If these things compromise some essential tools you need, it's not yet time to upgrade, but plan to replace those things soon. The only significant tools I have that require Snow Leopard are iMatch (Xrite Eye One Display 2 software) and Olympus Viewer 2/Updater (used very rarely, they don't work in 64 bit either).

To use them on the rare occasion when I have the need, I have a Snow Leopard system configured on a small external drive. And if I find anything else infrequently used but necessary to my work, I'll install it there too. It's a temporary measure that will suffice.

Overall, Lion is seeming to be very stable and performs well. There are some lags here and there ... booting up the MBP 13" for the first time without the 27" display tethered seemed to take forever, but now booting up is much quicker again. Lightroom runs as always, so does Photoshop CS4. I haven't started Aperture up yet.

Braeside

Quick Update after Lion installation on my 2010 MBP. (With Crucial SSD).

All working, had to update a few things like Evernote and 1Password, DropBox.

iDefrag broken. (No great loss)

TimeMachine problem with my Airport Extreme + Hard drive (poor man's TimeCapsule). It was never supported by Apple so I shouldn't complain. Currently starting a fresh TimeMachine and will see how it goes.

jonoslack

Hi Godfrey
if you have pains, they aren't from me - the back to front scrolling is odd, but obviously correct (it's just that we learned how to do it wrong). Irritatingly I restored from a time machine backup on my new 13" air, and it decided that a backup from June was the right one?
Still, it's not an issue, just a bother. Mail looks fab. most other things seem at least to work.

Braeside

Jono, I'm not sure what you mean about restoring from June's time machine backup, can you clarify what you were doing?

Godfrey

Sorry, but the scrolling default is simply backwards to me and I've inverted it so that it works properly*now. That's why they give us these options ..

I didn't make a DVD or flash drive from those instructions, although they're useful to have around.

I used Apple's instructions Lion support pages, re-downloaded the installer app, and built a bootable hard drive with the installers on it so I can install Lion and Xcode 4 on any compatible system easily now. It's a small, portable drive with both FW and USB 2 ports ...