The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question for MAC users: Lion today?

Godfrey

I guess Apple heard you, 'cause that's changed in Mac OS Lion. Now you can re-size just like Windows, like Steve said.
LOL! Mac OS is significantly older than Windows, the windowing UI design guidelines are really getting the first major update since 1984 in Lion. I remember several design changes along this line in the 1990s that most of us working on them deemed too ugly to ship. :)

They've done it in a nicely uncluttered way, so I'm happy. now about that reverse window scrolling business... :)

Braeside

LOL! Mac OS is significantly older than Windows, the windowing UI design guidelines are really getting the first major update since 1984 in Lion. I remember several design changes along this line in the 1990s that most of us working on them deemed too ugly to ship. :)

They've done it in a nicely uncluttered way, so I'm happy. now about that reverse window scrolling business... :)
We seem to have gone back to 1984 with the monochrome sidebar icons too :D

Braeside

Hi Godfrey,

I felt the colours helped quickly identify things. A bit like Favicons do in bookmarks.

Its not consistent either, the home folder "house" is still shown in colour in the top bar of the finder window, yet grey in the sidebar. 10.8 will be 8 bit dithered b&W I suppose.

I do like monochrome in photo apps, but not in the Finder. Wished they had given us the choice.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I cleaned an internal drive in my MacPro and installed Lion late last night. I love the new mail. The scrolling thing is easy to change so essentially a non-issue, but then I use a traditional mouse with a scroll wheel.

The real deal breaker for me is that some of the Adobe suite apps (specifically Illustrator) are not recognizing open fonts. A design I did in Snow shows my fonts perfectly. Open the same design under Lion in Illustrator and even though the fonts are "open" via my font management software, they refuse to show up and are being replaced with something vanilla.

Until that's fixed (by Adobe?) my Lion will remain dormant.

Best,
Tim

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey,

I felt the colours helped quickly identify things. A bit like Favicons do in bookmarks.

Its not consistent either, the home folder "house" is still shown in colour in the top bar of the finder window, yet grey in the sidebar. 10.8 will be 8 bit dithered b&W I suppose.

I do like monochrome in photo apps, but not in the Finder. Wished they had given us the choice.
I don't know what "Favicons" are. Obviously, I've never used them. ;-)

De gustibus non disputandem.

Braeside

I don't know what "Favicons" are. Obviously, I've never used them. ;-)

De gustibus non disputandem.

Hi Godfrey,
In the URL entry box at the top in the browser there is a small icon at the start of the line, that is a favicon. They also show up beside the bookmarks you store, I find I tend to use them as a visual cue a lot without really being that aware of them, you may well do so also.

Godfrey

In the URL entry box at the top in the browser there is a small icon at the start of the line, that is a favicon. They also show up beside the bookmarks you store, I find I tend to use them as a visual cue a lot without really being that aware of them, you may well do so also.
Ah, those things. Never heard that term for them. I thought they were browser icons. Some of my bookmarks have them, some not. Many are the same across several bookmarks.

I don't find them much of a visual cue ... I arrange my bookmarks more by position than by what they look like.