The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Removing EXIF from mixe media for sharpening?

gurtch

I just finished a time consuming project. I retrievd Pentax 645 color negatives shot in 2003. They are of "the causeway shack", an iconic structure on the way to Long Beach Island. The negs had nice forgrounds but rather blank skys, so I never printed them (I had a darkroom). Well the shack, after around 75 years, fell down, and my old images have value. I scanned the film at 4000 ppi, and combined them with skies taken with a Pentax 645D. My problem is I combined the images, then spent a ton of hours blending sky and forground. I use PK Sharpener 2 and I SHOULD have capture sharpend the film and digital separtely, but i didn't (DUHH!). When I go to use Capture Sharpener on the combined image, film (35mm pos/neg/645 pos/neg) capture options do not show up, as the program reads EXIF (sky portion) and thinks it is a digital capture. I contacted PK tech assistance. Their advice was to apply a light FILM capture sharpen. To do this I must REMOVE all EXIF. HELP!! I'm 74 years old, and obviously still learning. The most important part is the film forground, because if the sky background is a little soft, it won't be a game changer. All comments/advice/suggestions are most welcome. My usuall work flow is Capture sharpen, final size then PK output sharpen. This file is wonderfully big and detailed and will go 24"x32" at 240 dpi without up ressing. Thanks in advance!:confused::eek:
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

gurtch

Problem solved over on LuLa by Nick Walker as follows:
Leave the original document open in Photoshop. Create a new Photoshop document file>new In 'new' preset drop down you should see the image file name of your original image listed, selecting this will create a new document to exactly the same dimensions as your original picture.

You should now have a new 'blank' doc. Go back to original image, Select 'all' (cmd+A) on original image, copy (cmd+C) and copy original image to new blank document using move tool or paste command.

The new document should not contain any EXIF data, the EXIF data on the original will still be intact.

Oh man Nick! YOU are a life saver....worked like a charm. I can now apply Capture Sharpener selecting various film presets!! Thank you very much. I think these images will be valuable as the shack is gone.
Very best regards
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

E

EnthusiasticPeter

Problem solved over on LuLa by Nick Walker as follows:
Leave the original document open in Photoshop. Create a new Photoshop document file>new In 'new' preset drop down you should see the image file name of your original image listed, selecting this will create a new document to exactly the same dimensions as your original picture.

You should now have a new 'blank' doc. Go back to original image, Select 'all' (cmd+A) on original image, copy (cmd+C) and copy original image to new blank document using move tool or paste command.

The new document should not contain any EXIF data, the EXIF data on the original will still be intact.
Dave,

I just tried this method and discovered, that the result document contains some new generic EXIF data, for instance:

CAMERA
Orientation Upper Left
X resolution 300/1
Y resolution 300/1
Resolution unit inches
Software Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Date/time 26.07.2011 4:36 PM

Colorspace sRGB
Pixel X dimension 4526
Pixel Y dimension 3377
Also, I think Nick's solution leads to picture re-saving, and if a source was JPEG -- to image quality degradation.

Personally, I prefer to use 3rd party utilities, such as this EXIF remover. The specialized software is quite accurate and performs EXIF manipulations without loss of quality.