The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa Corrector Problem: Photoshop/Windows

cs750

I have attempted to use the Alpa Corrector software with Photoshop CS4 and have not been successful in getting Photoshop to work with the Corrector software. I understand the file "Alpa_LC_137" is to be copied to the folders in "the corresponding subfolders" of Photoshop CS4. I have tried copying the file to the "filters" subfolder and to the "plug-ins" folder but have not been successful in booting up the Corrector plug-in from Photoshop. Does anyone have any suggestions?

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
There are 2 files you need to download:
ALPA_LC_137_Win.zip
ALPA_LCF_v3.zip

On Windows there are 3 separate files that need to be copied to 3 separate locations.
First you need to unzip the file ALPA_LC_137_Win.zip
After unzipping the file you will have a folder named ALPA_LC_137_Win
Inside that folder is a folder named ALPA LC on Windows which contains 3 folders named:
PS_a
PS_b
PS_c

1. From the PS_a folder, Copy the file named pthreadVC2.dll and place it in the program folder:
<PHOTOSHOP>\pthreadVC2.dll

2. From the PS_b folder, Copy the folder named ALPA_LC, which contains a file named ALPALensCorrectFilter.8bf and place it in:
<PHOTOSHOP>\Plug-Ins\Filters\ALPA_LC\ALPALensCorrectFilter.8bf

3. From the PS_c folder, Copy the folder named ALPA_LC, which contains a file named ALPALensCorrectAutomate.8li and place it in:
<PHOTOSHOP>\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\Automate\ALPA_LC\ALPALensCorrectAutomate.8li

Next, unzip the file named ALPA_LCF_v3.zip.
This contains the correction profiles. These can be stored anywhere on your computer but you will have to access them once you are working inside the ALPA Lens Corrector.

Let me know if you can get them loaded and open the plug in.

cs750

CMB, thank you very much. Your directions were most helpful, and it now seems I am up and running with the Alpa Lens Corrector. Charles

Aviv1887

I have a hard time getting the Alpa Corrector to work properly on my MAC. Anychance you have such great directions for the MAC platform?

Thx

cmb_

I have a hard time getting the Alpa Corrector to work properly on my MAC. Anychance you have such great directions for the MAC platform?

Thx
Absolutely!

There are 2 files you need to download for the MAC:
ALPA_LC_137_MAC.zip
ALPA_LCF_v3.zip

Unzip the file ALPA_LC_137_MAC.zip
You will now have a folder named: ALPA_LC_137_MAC
Open the folder named ALPA_LC_137_MAC and you will find another folder named: ALPA LC on Mac OS X
The folder named ALPA LC on Mac OS X contains two folders: MAC OS X 10.4 Tiger, and MAC OS X 10.5 Leopard
Pick the one appropriate for your operating system - for example MAC OS X 10.5 Leopard
Open the folder named MAC OS X 10.5 Leopard and you will find a folder named ALPA LC
Copy the entire folder named ALPA LC and place it in
Applications > Adobe Photoshop > Plug-ins > ALPA LC

Next, unzip the file named ALPA_LCF_v3.zip.
This contains the correction profiles. These can be stored anywhere on your computer but you will have to access them once you are working inside the ALPA Lens Corrector.

Open a file in Photoshop you want to correct with the ALPA Lens Corrector.
To launch the Lens Corrector in Photoshop go to: File > Automate > ALPA Lens Corrector.

Let me know if you need more help.

CS5 needs to be started in 32 bit mode.

Aviv1887

Thanks CMB for the clear explanation. I've reinstalled the files however my problem persists. The LC starts up fine and loads the image file. However when I want to do step two of loading the parameters it gives me an error sign "that it could not open file xxx". For your information I'm using CS4 on MAC 10.6.8. Any idea what I do wrong?

Thanks.

cmb_

Aviv - not sure.
This is how I do it, also in CS4.

Open the image I want to correct in Photoshop.
Then open the ALPA Lens Corrector - File > Automate > Alpa Lens Corrector
There are two buttons in the center of the Plug-in right next to one another: File... , and Load Parameters
First click on File... - here you navigate to the folder named ALPA_LCF_v3 and find the folder that has your Back or DSLR and then select the appropriate file for the lens used - and click open. Now, the name of that file appears in the box below those two buttons (File... , and Load Parameters)
Then you click Load Parameters (numbers change in the Parameters area)
Then make a selection in the Expand Canvas box
Then Enter Shift
Then Select Interpolation
Then Preview or Execute

Hope this helps.