The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using CS4 or earlier: read Adobe's new policy

jonoslack

Adobe is changing their policy on upgrades. Going forward, you will need to own the current version to qualify for an upgrade. This means you need CS5 to upgrade to CS6. So, you may need to upgrade to CS5...I guess Adobe needs revenue and wants you to do that now because they are offering a discount until the end of the year.

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/11/16/adobe-will-only-offer-photoshop-cs6-upgrade-price-to-cs5-owners/
Thanks Terry
I'm still on CS3 . . . and, to be honest, I think this will seal their fate - there's so little I really need in the new version of photoshop, which I can't get from Aperture and the NIK software plugins, that maybe it's just time to say goodbye!

Diane B

Thanks Terry
I'm still on CS3 . . . and, to be honest, I think this will seal their fate - there's so little I really need in the new version of photoshop, which I can't get from Aperture and the NIK software plugins, that maybe it's just time to say goodbye!
Interesting you say that Jono. I've had PS since 2 or 3 and upgraded each time until CS3. I guess Lightroom beta 1.0 came out during that version. As LR has upgraded to 3 I find less and less reason to go to PS--maybe occasional layers for combining some brackets but not much more. LR does what I need (and even allows use of many plugins as you say) and I'm sure Aperture for you. I've considered upgrading to CS5 recently because I could upgrade without having to start from scratch but now this--I think this is as far as I go with PS. I had sort of already decided I really didn't need more than CS3 and this sort of cinches it. I'm just not planning on upgrading PS every version and that appears to be their plan.

It's really much more than that. Adobe is most likely going to be rolling out a subscription model starting with CS6 and they want everyone to switch over to it. CS5.5 will be eligible for upgrade pricing. CS5 will probably only get a small discount. To be totally honest, it makes me want to consider moving to Aperture and get out of Lightroom and Adobe all together.

Godfrey

Thanks Terry
Just remember that Photography accounts for about 6% of Photoshop's user base ...

Diane B

I think that's why I'm hoping for a really good Lightroom upgrade---which IS aimed at us. Its come so far and is so close to what I need in the develop module (the other modules work really well for me).

Craftysnapper

It's really much more than that. Adobe is most likely going to be rolling out a subscription model starting with CS6 and they want everyone to switch over to it. CS5.5 will be eligible for upgrade pricing. CS5 will probably only get a small discount. To be totally honest, it makes me want to consider moving to Aperture and get out of Lightroom and Adobe all together.
I'd agree with that and also consider that probably only one in a hundred copies of CS is not a boot legged copy, then a eventual subscription only CS would end piracy all together.

They have probably crunched the numbers and decided it more profitable to do a monthly contribution to the dedicated pro's then the money they will lose from legit buyers that upgrade every two or three versions.

Lightroom and Elements will do me fine from now on , goodbye CS.:(

fotografz

Just remember that Photography accounts for about 6% of Photoshop's user base ...
Exactly! While I use PS less than in the past because of the advancements in LR, LR would have to add a huge amount of functionality to eliminate PS from my software pallet.

Plus, The Creative Suite with In Design is the most used graphic arts software in the USA ... and for all I know the world.

As long as Adobe provides value for money with PS upgrades, I'm okay with the new policy, but if LR keeps going in the direction it has, and adds some of the current PS functionality I could see not needing further iterations of PS.

Ben Rubinstein

Has anyone sat and worked out the prices for the subscription model versus buying outright? I did it for CS Extended. You end up paying the full value of the software ($999) once every 20 months.

If this is really the way they are going then photographers can practically forget being able to afford photoshop any more...