The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

White Balance Question

Greg Haag

Trying to work out the kink's of a new camera and software. This should be properly white balanced, but for some reason visually appears slightly off to me? Anyone that is view from a calibrated monitor would you mind give me your thoughts.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

David Schneider

Monitor I'm on isn't calibrated, but looks fine to me. I might adjust levels a tad and might warm it up a tiny bit, but that's just me. I set my cameras for 5400 Kelvin most of the time.

Greg Haag

David,
I appreciate the feedback, I think I am going to use my ColorChecker card and see what the results are.
Thanks again,
Greg

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually the model's skin looks a tad "tallow" or ever so slightly yellow/green on my monitor, and some people just have that color skin. With it, even a perfect WB at capture won't help because the red toned skin goes too red or orange with a WB correction. Best bet for these IMHO is to use a warmer light during the shoot, like a soft-gold fill reflector or very light "Sun" gel over the main.

Greg Haag

Here is where I am at this point. I have been color balancing of of the grey portion for image 1, I switched to the white for my color balance on image 2 and it looks much better to me. (no warming done, trying to get my color right first) Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks for everyones help!
Greg

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Looks better to me, too, even on uncalibrated laptop. +1 to what Jack mentioned too, in the case of skin tones tending more to "tallow".

Best wishes to all for the festive season, too

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
There is a magenta cast in your grey card according to my display of it.
white is dead neutral. I am using the mac digital color meter and reading off the screen.
I shot a gal the other day who really had and was proud of her "Olive" skin and indeed, I took pains to maintain it.
-bob

David Schneider

Fun happens when you have a family and there are three different skin tones going on; dad is red'ish, mom is pretty good, daughter is blonde and pale, son is a bit olive. Or a mixed race family with dark complextion and white complextion parents and then kids. Or a family with a horse.....and you can be sure they will be more concerned with how accurate the horse looks rather than themselves.

ced

For me the new image is a touch too red but then the call is yours/your client's preference. I would balance on the mid grey and do a slight overall gradation change to how you would like it to be.