The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom 4 Public Beta posted

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
just played around with an image... really don't like how they dumbed those sliders down -- AT ALL!

if they don't give you an option to use those (couldn't they have an advanced mode or something?), this may kill wanting to use LR for any of my RAW processing... sigh.

i will play some more and do some small prints but i'm none too happy... i like having control!
DEEP BREATH Everyone!

Under Menu Options: Settings Drop Down Number 3 is Process

Selection of 2010 Brings all the good stuff back.

Bob

docmoore

Cam. I use CS3 also (after many years of upgrading I settled to this). You just set up the external editor in your preferences and when you right click over image it brings up 'edit in' and you just choose the CS3. Simple. It will create a tiff file beside the raw, open in PS and you can do whatever you wish in PS, "save as" and it saves th PS edits.

I'll be back to add more. Lunch just came LOL.

Diane
There is a warning that you need to update PS Camera Raw Plugin to 7.0
which of course is not available yet...click on open anyway....stacks the edit file next to the file you chose in LR. And this occurs even if you save to a another export folder.

Bob

docmoore

greypilgrim

Yes, please do not take what I said as anything other than concerns. I have not tried the software yet, and so far, like I said, the upgrades to LR over the years have been good.

*** begin soapbox *** :OT:

My concern is a personal bias against having software dumbed down for the "masses" instead of figuring out how to keep it powerful while making it more approachable for those that need it. The second is much harder, so we often get the dumbed down approach. Really good software design leads the novice user along until they become "power users" without even knowing it. Unfortunately, the approach is more often "dumbing the software down" which never gets the user out of beginner mode and frustrates the heck out of those trying to use the software.

*** end soapbox *** :D

I am looking forward to trying out the beta asap... Unfortunately, I also have a new NAS arriving tonight. Choices, choices ;)

Doug

docmoore

The LR 2012 process renders very nicely.

Fun to look at old pictures in a new light.

This is not so old...NEX 5N

Bob

docmoore

With what I am seeing it will be hard to go back to LR3....

Train Bridge Ricoh GXR A12 M

Bob

douglasf13

Yes, please do not take what I said as anything other than concerns. I have not tried the software yet, and so far, like I said, the upgrades to LR over the years have been good.

*** begin soapbox *** :OT:

My concern is a personal bias against having software dumbed down for the "masses" instead of figuring out how to keep it powerful while making it more approachable for those that need it. The second is much harder, so we often get the dumbed down approach. Really good software design leads the novice user along until they become "power users" without even knowing it. Unfortunately, the approach is more often "dumbing the software down" which never gets the user out of beginner mode and frustrates the heck out of those trying to use the software.

*** end soapbox *** :D

I am looking forward to trying out the beta asap... Unfortunately, I also have a new NAS arriving tonight. Choices, choices ;)

Doug
I hear ya, Doug. I don't think you'll find LR4 dumbed down. If anything, the addition of RGB curves and more targeted slider adjustments is...smarted up a bit?? :LOL::LOL:

I just made my first little prints with LR4, and soft proofing is probably shutting the door on sending files to PS for me altogether. Very cool.

Agnius

LR3 to LR4 upgrade- is that free?
Knowing Adobe, I can assure it will not be free.

Adobe provides incremental .x updates for free, but you have to buy a new copy for whole number updates.

Lightroom is a pretty good product (I use it quite a bit at work), but myself I prefer Aperture interface. It just feels more elegant.

docmoore

Question, what does the new 'White' tool do?
Ben,

Read the following

http://computer-darkroom.com/lr4_bet...-preview-1.htm

In his summary he states:

"Whites and Blacks are the highlight & shadow clipping controls. They are useful for adjusting how much of the highlights and shadows are clipped off, while preserving the overall tonal relationships in the image."

Seems much more impressive when used good shadow and highlight control with less effect on the mids...

Bob

docmoore

Adobe provides incremental .x updates for free, but you have to buy a new whole version.
Actually, upgrades to new version ie 2 to 3 and I assume 3 to 4 have been very reasonable....for the power and features in LR I think it is a bargain. But full disclosure...I have the Master Suite and C1 and NX2 and DXO and Phocus.

Part of the serial tax to update...however the improvements are not minor.

Bob

robertwright

I'm going to have to spend some time with it- this is feeling more like C1 in terms of splitting recover into shadow and highlight- the thing is I don't actually like that- I like having brightness and fill light- even tho they do the same things they don't do the same things. Just downloaded the beta so I can see. Making pdf books is a good thing- reps need these all the time.

I guess the question is how do you move the midtones?

Ben,

Read the following

"Whites and Blacks are the highlight & shadow clipping controls. They are useful for adjusting how much of the highlights and shadows are clipped off, while preserving the overall tonal relationships in the image."

Seems much more impressive when used good shadow and highlight control with less effect on the mids...

Bob

douglasf13

Hi, Robert. Watch that video I posted above. The histogram is now split into 5 sections, and they're adjusted with the following sliders: blacks, shadows, exposure (this is how you adjust midtones,) highlights, whites. It seems to make targeted adjustments more possible.

robertwright

I don't know why they didnt put the clipping on the tone curve and leave the panel as it was. I appreciate the ability to set pos and neg clipping values, but I think making shadow/highlight like C1 is a bad idea, now the HDR thing is almost too hard to avoid.

It was good that fill bled into brightness and exposure, there are compromises to be made and this is what makes an image look sensitometric- film like if you will and not synthetic or illustrative.

being able to paint tint is helpful however.

I think as an upgrade it might be a solution in search of a problem. Great for those who can't expose a picture correctly but a hindrance for those who can.

:cry:

douglasf13

I'd say I'm capable of "exposing a picture correctly," and I'm liking these changes, so far. I've been a Lightroom user since the first version was released, but I've always preferred the way exposure is handled in other converters, like C1. The good thing is that you can just use the 2010 process version, so the changes won't affect you, if you don't want them to.

robertwright

I'm sure you are:D-- I'm obviously tilting at windmills thinking the pace of change will ever stop...

interesting that they let you go back the old process version- thank goodness- makes me think they are not so sold on it?

I think its really a workflow issue, you get to know a converter and you know what you do with it and how you run your images through it and it becomes second nature. So there will be a learning curve to understand what I do with these controls most of the time.

I think my comment on images looking sensitometric vs. illustrative is still on point- we seem to be moving further and further away from a traditional film exposure curve. The question is whether or not that response curve is arbitrary or if it works because it mimics how we see or think we see. We don't see HDR altho we do see adaptively. This is why HDR looks fake. IMO the more we move towards this kind of thing is a bad idea.

Its not just raw converters, if I look commercial photography the trend has been for a long time towards a very fake kind of overlit aesthetic- advertisers like you to see everything so you can buy it worry free. But this is not how the world actually looks.

Like the quote in Boogie Nights, "shadows in life baby...":p

I'd say I'm capable of "exposing a picture correctly," and I'm liking these changes, so far. I've been a Lightroom user since the first version was released, but I've always preferred the way exposure is handled in other converters, like C1. The good thing is that you can just use the 2010 process version, so the changes won't affect you, if you don't want them to.

douglasf13

I hear ya, Robert. I'm also not personally a fan of HDR-looking images, but, in the little time that I've had to use this new slider arrangement, my vision for my photos is still clear enough that I can easily adjust to taste, and the new targeted sliders seem to make it simple to get there, although I can see how this will be abused by some. I need to give it more time.

As for the ability to go back to the old processing routine, Adobe has included that functionality when they've upgraded processing systems in the past, in order to appease those happy with the current way of doing things, so win win. :)

Ben Rubinstein

Ben,

Read the following

Bob
Link isn't working Bob? Sorry.