The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom 4 Public Beta posted

eleanorbrown

I think the new content aware shadow and highlight sliders are worth the price of the upgrade....lots of other great changes too. Eleanor

greypilgrim

I did have a chance to try out 4 some last night. I still do not know about the tone curve baking in the old medium tone curve as linear, I will have to see how that behaves more. It seems like curve changes are a lot more sensitive than they were with the old linear, and it is really easy to overdo it, but not sure yet.

On the new exposure and 4 different tone sliders, it looks like it works reasonably well. I was able to recover some highlights in some particularly tough photos that the previous process and controls had problems with. I had to go to spot adjustments in LR 3.6 for those.

There are some unexpected interactions between whites and highlights (and blacks and shadows). I would try pulling down the whites to recover the top end and have little effect, but if I also pulled down the highlights, then the whites slider did have an effect. So, I do not think the zones and their controls are as pure as presented in the UI. Not complaining, mind, but interesting.

There are a few minor glitches with how LR 4 works with the Nik Software plugins in terms of where the edited photos end up after exiting Nik, but otherwise, the interaction seemed fine.

Doug

dogstarnyc

Bob,

On the latest backs can you change the file extension to.tif...? Would that help or am I barking up the wrong tree...?

steve