The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New LED panels

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Roger that. A 30" Apple Cinema is cheaper and still pretty darn good. Still, I'd love to see an LED panel in person.

LJL

Hey Tim, we were sort of all discussing this some time ago, so thanks for bringing it back to the front burner again. There are a few options like this starting to emerge, and none are terribly cheap. I think NEC and Samsung have something along these lines also. Folks were waiting/hoping to see if Apple revamped their LCD line-up and went with this LED technology. Still waiting on that.

It still raises the questions about price versus performance. I recall your needs really being high on the performance side for color matchings and things. Just wondering if you have had a chance to see/test any of these options yourself? Personally, I think the LED tech for these monitors should be outstanding. I keep holding out for a 30" solution, but just know the price is going to be steep. And, I also wonder about different levels of offerings within this tech. IOW, might there be higher and lower "grade" options, and how much difference might that make? We see that it makes a huge difference in the normal LCDs with their simple fluorescent backlight tech now. Just wondering out loud at this point.

LJ

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Lots of good questions that I too wish I had answers for.

For now, I'm very comfortable with my Eizo. But curious about what more is possible. If the LED gets us even closer to WYSIWYG, then it will be a nice alternative.

I do remember the conversation you mention, and wasn't there a comment by someone with technical experience who made the point that the bottleneck at this point is the output cable from the card to the monitor? I seem to remember that without the capability to transfer the bits, some get tossed no matter what your monitor is capable of displaying. If true, then a couple things will need to develop and converge before all that potential in the LED is realized.

etrigan63

HP is sending me one for review (so their PR guy tells me). I have a Dell 3007WFP which is backlit the old-fashioned way (with a small bonfire and a large fresnel lens) and I will compare the output of the two. David Farkas has offered to let me compare them to the Eizo monitors he sells.

woodyspedden

HP is sending me one for review (so their PR guy tells me). I have a Dell 3007WFP which is backlit the old-fashioned way (with a small bonfire and a large fresnel lens) and I will compare the output of the two. David Farkas has offered to let me compare them to the Eizo monitors he sells.
Carlos

Be careful about the loaners. Once you try the Eizo monitors you will unlikely want anything else. They are just fabulous (and really expensive but that's life) So dont try it unless you are prepared to buy it.

I bought mine about two years ago and would not think about buying another brand unless something very new and exciting hits the market.

Woody

Stuart Richardson

Yes, it's not just performance for me...it is the reliability and the guarantee as well. I have had three Apple monitors fail on me (two different cinema displays and one laptop display), and the Eizo just keeps going and going, along with the 5 year warranty...

I am definitely interested in the new technology though. It will be interesting to see what comes of it and when.

etrigan63

Oddly enough, I thought my Dell 3007WFP was developing a dark smear due to uneven backlighting. On a hunch, I pulled the video card I was testing (ATI HD3870 Mac) and replaced it with my Apple approved 8800GT. Lo and behold, the smear went away! Go figure.

etrigan63

Looks like wishful thinking on my part. Smear is still there.

On the LED panel front, Apple's new 24" display is the harbinger of things to come. I fully expect 20" and 30" models to be introduced at Macworld in January. This will likely coincide with a Mac Pro refresh and new video card options for existing Mac Pros. DisplayPort will allow panels to exceed current 8-bit/channel hardware restrictions.