The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LR4/ACR7, they killed the specular highlights!

Ben Rubinstein

Hi,

Been working with CS6 which of course includes ACR7 raw engine which is the same as the new one in LR4. One of the biggest features of the new engine is its highlight control. It really is incredible. However the problem I'm having is that they seem to have killed the facial tones as a result. Highlights on the face now lose colour, go desaturated/greyish compared to the old 2010 version of the ACR engine.

I've prepared a couple of RAW's where this is apparent. You will need ACR 6.7 RC (in CS5) or ACR 7 in CS6 beta to view these properly. I don't think you can view snapshots in LR4.

In both versions I've prepared two snapshots (last tab on the right), the first is how I processed the picture originally using the previous engine. The second snapshot is using the new Process engine, 2012. Have a look at the faces at 100%, specifically the highlights.

Can you see what I mean about the colour disappearing with the new version? Some people don't seem to be able to see it but you people are MFDB users and/or perfectionists and purists in any case, to me the difference is very very apparent, the facial highlights look awful in the new version.

http://www.timelessjewishart.com/013.dng (left side of face and neck)

http://timelessjewishart.com/0129.dng (highlight above right eyebrow)

This third shows the problem worst of all, it's not mine, it's a RAW sample from the 5DIII off Imaging Resource, I'm posting it up as an example only as IR don't have anything that I can see on their website saying that I cannot do this. If what I'm doing is wrong please let me know! http://www.timelessjewishart.com/5D3_IR.dng

If you can spare me the time to have a look I'd appreciate it!

Ben

archiM44

Ben,
Thanks first of all for bringing this to our attention.
I will check out some of the images taken with my Leica M9 and the 50 summilux asph since those will confirm what I see in the files you posted.
There is a definite loss of modelling (or three dimensionality) in the new process which I see in ACR7 when switching in the camera profile section.
I'll try making new x-rite color checker profiles as well as seeing what Capture One does.
thenks again and regards
maurice

archiM44

Ben
I have gone through some of my DNG files from the M9 and I find that process 2012 gives a very slightly duller image which to my eye comes over as having a little less presence. The difference is very slight and I might never have noticed if you hadn't brought it to my attention. It does mean that I'll have to be very critical when developing.
I then created Color Checker Passport profiles using DNG with process 2012.
This doesn't correct the problem but only introduces very slight difference in the color balance of skin tones (very very slightly more magenta) I believe the skin tones are closer to reality with Adobe Standard now, much better than they used to be when I always had to use Capture One Pro.
The difference between Capture One and LR4 or CS6beta is so significant that I still will be checking which gives the preferred rendering. If I check the most difficult skin tone I have and one that I know better than those I only see once or twice (my granddaughter who is mixed caucasian and indonesian) I usually prefer the Capture One rendering.
Sorry I cannot be clearer. regards
maurice da silva solis