The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 6.4 Update

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Highlights, version 6.4
This release provides new features and support for a new generation of camera bodies and backs from Phase One and MamiyaLeaf. In addition, the release provides support for a number of other cameras and improves quality.
Features
• Focus controls in live view for Phase One iXR and iXA industrial cameras when used with an IQ or Credo back.
Camera Support
• File and tethered support for Leaf Credo 40, 60 and 80.
• File support for Nikon D4, D800E and D800.
• File support for Canon 5D Mark III and G1 X.
• File support for Olympus OM-D E-M5.
• Tethered support for Nikon D5100. Bug Fixes
• Fixed some issues with live view on Mac and Windows causing the view to stop updating or a focusing message not disappearing.
• Addressed an instability issue associated with the use of large preview sizes.

Camera systems and image software

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Still no support is available for the Fuji X-Pro1.

This requires a very different debayering. Not sure how comitted Fuji is to support other RCs.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Full details of the Capture One 6.4 Bug in 10.5.8.

Summary: there is a bug when running the new 6.4 in the old OSX 10.5.8. When you click "window" the software crashes. We've been suggesting users get off 10.5 for many months. LR4, CS5, and many other major new apps don't even support 10.5.8 at all, and the ones that are still trying to maintain compatibility often do so imperfectly with new releases. Of course some users are "stuck" because of some legacy hardware or software and cannot update; so for those users: DONT update to 6.4.

I expect that this will be fixed in the next update to C1, but that does not change my overall advise.

You can be informed in a timely manner of future similar issues as well as when this issue is resolved by subscribing to the Digital Transitions Blog RSS Feed. This RSS feed has not been extensively used in the past, but I'm maintaining it from here out and promise to keep it up to date with such issues pertinent to Phase, Mamiya, Leaf users and anyone who uses Capture One.

I've been playing with C1 for the first time. Seems like a cool program, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to export a TIF file.

I'm interested in using a raw converter for conversion, not for workflow management or for more intensive editing. If I can't easily go straight from C1 to photoshop, that's an instant dealbreaker.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
To export a TIFF file you need to have a recipe set in the process section. This must be then selected (and enabled), and then you can launch the process to generate the TIFF file. You can also select other output recipes as well in which case processing will create all of the enabled recipes.

The other thing to be aware of is that the C1 recipe selected will be used to set the display colourspace used to render in C1's edit windows. For example, if you have a jpg recipe with sRGB selected then it'll render your edits in sRGB too. I always have my TIFF/ProPhotoRGB recipe selected unless I specifically want to render a different type of output file.

People bitch about Nikon Capture NX2 but to be honest C1 Pro has it's quirks too!!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>People bitch about Nikon Capture NX2 but to be honest C1 Pro has it's quirks too!!

All RCs have quirks, But NX 2 is so slooooow.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
... If I can't easily go straight from C1 to photoshop, that's an instant dealbreaker.
As part of setting up your recipe you can elect to have the output tif opened immediately in the program of your choice. In my case, I choose PS CS5 and once the file has finished processing in C1, it opens PS and the image appears there ready to edit further.

Tim

>People bitch about Nikon Capture NX2 but to be honest C1 Pro has it's quirks too!!

All RCs have quirks, But NX 2 is so slooooow.
I'm stunned by how slow it is. It makes almost full use of all 8 cores on my mac pro, and still even the simplest tasks take several seconds to reneder. Things that C1 does in a few seconds, and that ACR does instantly.

As part of setting up your recipe you can elect to have the output tif opened immediately in the program of your choice. In my case, I choose PS CS5 and once the file has finished processing in C1, it opens PS and the image appears there ready to edit further.

Tim
Ah, ok. The whole process recipe thing is hidden. There's nothing like the standard save or export option under the File menu. I have to figure out how some of these basics work.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm stunned by how slow it is. It makes almost full use of all 8 cores on my mac pro, and still even the simplest tasks take several seconds to reneder. Things that C1 does in a few seconds, and that ACR does instantly.
NX2 produces great files but I fear that the folks at Nik who now write the converter don't seem to know what an image cache is ... they seem to render the adjustment stack each time you change anything significant which contributes to your cores running to the max. At least it's mostly multi-threaded now but I'd agree that it is can take an age to render changes.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>There's nothing like the standard save or export option under the File menu.

The reason for this is that processing is done in the background. You can work on the next images while other are processed. Normal "save" is not really efficient.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
isn't "save a version" which is part of the Lion pretty much the equivalent of "save as"? So the OS is constantly saving your current state, if you want to lock it in as is,then try something you may regret so you can comeback you save a version? And you can always revert the document to when it was opened with standard Lion apps now.

ReeRay

Advice please. I'm still on Mac OS X 10.5.8 due to scanner compatibility. I'm also still on C1 6.3.4.

I see that according to Phase the latest update to 6.4.2. fixes the issues previously associated with 10.5.8.

Could someone please advise whether this is so and whether it would be safe for me to upgrade.

Thanks in anticipation