The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Capture One Pro Version 4.5/Download

S

sebasco

The D700 files look great and are as close to accurate as possible color-wise, when I use the D2x profile as opposed to the D700 profile.

This is not surprising as it is universally acknowledged that Nikon's D2x profile is its most accurate color-wise ever. As you know, pros begged Nikon to release their D2x profiles to add to the picture control menu on all the recent cameras, if they so desired. I did. Thus, I shoot with the Nikon D2x profile as my picture control profile on my D700! Maybe that's why the D2x profile works so beautifully! But boy what a beauty it is!

Try it folks and let us know what you think.

Ed

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Was just going to post that the Nikons are supported even the D90. All Caon except the new 5d and all Olympus 4/3rds including the 520 .Leica support as well and many others

H

hermie

> Thus, I shoot with the Nikon D2x profile as my picture control profile on my D700

AFAIK, the D2x and other picture controls are tags in raw files that are only correctly interpreted in Nikon Capture. Camera Raw now has its own implementation (not using Nikon profiles) of these D2x (and other) picture styles.

But Capture One? I don't think you'll see a difference between raw file shot with standard vs. other styles, or did I miss something?

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Careful of the word styles with C1 because they are something different. They give you B&W with high contrasts , med contrast and all sorts of style looks. What you mean are the camera profiles for different camera's . Yes the Nikon's,Leica,Olympus, Canons etc are considered a generic profile but it is what Phase One created most likely using color charts and such. I can check on this further if you want. First C1 needs to see those camera's but there generic profiles are made from C1. But you are correct C1 will not see those tags in the Nikon like it will in NX

When Doug frees up from his CI demo's today he will be back on tomorrow or so and can describe this a little better for folks. Doug is the technical guru for Capture Integration which sells and support Phase products, he also beta tested this and is a very bright tech guy.

H

hermie

> What you mean are the camera profiles for different camera's .

Absolutely. I intentionally referred to these camera profiles as 'picture controls' since that's what they are called in NX and in camera settings.

> Yes the Nikon's,Leica,Olympus, Canons etc are considered a generic profile but it is what Phase One created most likely using color charts and such.

Agreed

Guy Mancuso

Great Hermie. I was hoping that was what you were referring too. C1 so far folks looks really really nice

S

sebasco

Great Hermie. I was hoping that was what you were referring too. C1 so far folks looks really really nice
I agree that C1 does look really really nice. The first one one taken over the weekend at a local farmer's market. The second, with the skewed perspective, I shot on a walk. Both were converted using C1. I am very pleased with the colors as compared to what I got from 2 other programs. I can almost taste the peppers in the first!

Happy Shooting.

Guy Mancuso

Looks really good.

Try this on the second tree image . Go into styles and hit Exposure -high dynamic range 1 and watch your shadows open up. Pretty cool

S

sebasco

Guy,

Does the non-pro version of Capture One 4.5 have styles? I couldn't find it so I haven't been able to implement your suggestion. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Guy Mancuso

Not sure it should have .Go on the top line to adjustments than a drop down to styles. it is also in the third tab right under the histo. Now I also am not so sure there is a non pro version of 4.5. Check this to make sure. 4 tabs over the 3 circle icon , click that now do you see color editor

S

sebasco

I think it is Pro only . I will get Doug on this

http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx
It is in fact pro only. I had upgraded but as i had not activated the key, when I downloaded, I just got Capture 4.5(not pro). When you upgrade, you need to go into capture one's license tab, deactivate the old license and then put in the new license key. Then Capture one pro pops up!

The "styles" addition is tres cool.

I am noticing that when one processes from Capture 1 pro, the preference box for processing is gone. Thus, you can only convert files with an adobe profile and as a TIF. I gather I am missing something being new to Capture One pro but figured I woukd ask the expert!

Thanks again

S

sebasco

I think it is Pro only . I will get Doug on this

http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx
Okay, now I feel really stupid. I found the process recipe and was able to change the recipe as I wanted.

Gus, I've tried the styles and converted the tree picture with HDR1. I like it. When I use HDR + 1, it lightens the entire image and in this case, the image is a tad more yellow. Your thoughts?

I think that once you wrap your skills around Capture One Pro, you should offer a workshop in the Northeast on Getting the Most Out Of Capture One Pro. I would sign up.

Thanks again

Guy Mancuso

I think a workshop is in order for sure. this program has a lot of power to it and the learning curve will be there but the results are great from C1 and I have been using it since my 1ds days.

Now that opened the shadows up nicely just need to adjust back down on exposure when using some of the styles but that looks much better now and still has nice blacks and gave it a much smoother tonal range. Nice work.

Might just want to slide your color temp a shade to cooler if too much yellow . I will try this also and see if there is any color shift.

Now you can also use the High Dynamic range controls which I use all the time for opening shadows and recovering highlights . Much better control of the image

S

sebasco

Guy,

Thanks for your advise and considering putting together a workshop.

Are you currently using the Nikon D700 profile or the Nikon D2x profile. I find the colors, especially of skin tones better when I use the Nikon D2x profile but that may be because I've not yet learned to use the skintone function.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Guy Mancuso

Guy,

Thanks for your advise and considering putting together a workshop.

Are you currently using the Nikon D700 profile or the Nikon D2x profile. I find the colors, especially of skin tones better when I use the Nikon D2x profile but that may be because I've not yet learned to use the skintone function.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Mine is the Phase Back P25 Plus and the Oly 520. No Nikons now but folks do love the D2x profiles i know in NX. One of those things have to play around with to find your happy spot.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
For clarity:

In Capture One "styles" means a collection of adjustments which can be applied to both incoming tethered shots (so that the art director / model see the image pop up with your look already applied), or to imported images or previous captures.

As an example I have created a style with the following settings:
Exposure: +1EV
Contrast: +20
HDR Highlight recovery: 30
saturation: -30
color editor: Add saturation to, and darken blues, rotate skin-tone red towards olive
clarity: +20
sharpening: 140, 0.9 px, 1.0 threshold
lens correction: slight vignette applied

This creates a high-key, porcelain skin-tone look which is (to me) somehow japanese-ish which I love for female portraits. I can select an image and rather than having to set every parameter individually, just flick the style dial to "DEP Japanese Portrait". Or I can set "Next Capture Adjustments" to "defaults with style: DEP Japanese Portrait" and what the model sees pop up on the screen from the first to last shot is this look. Now the model (and even most art directors) don't know what's going on behind the scenes, so they will attribute much of this look to your lighting/camera/knowledge, which makes you a unique asset (they can't easily go to someone else and say "shoot this style for me").

When you go to apply a style you'll find it gives you a real-time preview of the effect of applying that style. This allows you to compare several possible styles very quickly. If you wanted to compare them in more detail just create several variants of the image and then apply a different style to each. The total time to do this in photoshop would be enormous; doing it in Capture One it takes seconds and has the added benefit of staying in raw. Then when you've nailed the exact look you can copy paste (apple-shift C, apple-shift V) that look to hundreds of other images in seconds.

There are also several included styles. You may like them or hate them but they are an easy way to see what is possible and you can use them as starting points for your own styles. Apply a style, enhance/refine it, and save it as your own.

Also note that you include whether to include a particular adjustment in any given style, which means that you can keep adjustments, such as minor exposure and WB tweaks during a shoot in dynamic light, separate from the adjustments you are using to create a look (e.g. contrast/saturation etc).

Now styles is only available in Pro, but most of the underlying adjustments which are being collected by a style are available in both pro and non-pro (clarity, color editor, and vignette are exceptions from my example). This is a workflow/speed/convenience feature.

The single guiding principal of Capture One is to save you time and allow you to create a unique look (your visual artistic signature) without the need to individually photoshop that look into each image. Styles is one big component of this principal.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio