The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Warning: C1 6.4 crashes under MacOS 10.7.4

PeterL

I just upgraded to MacOS 10.7.4 and upon restart Capture One 6.4 crashes on startup (MBP latest generation). There is nothing special about my setup, never used the FileVault (which had security bugs that are now supposedly fixed in 10.7.4). Clearly something else has changed as well. Really weird, just wanted to post a warning here. At least make sure you have a bootable backup before you attempt this "upgrade".

I had to restore from my 10.7.3 boot image. Would be interested in hearing if others have the same problems.

Cheers, -Peter

PS: There is a C1 6.4.1 upgrade available from PhaseOne as well. I did not try that, but according to the release notes it's basically just new camera support.

PeterL

UPDATE: This is copied from the PhaseOne support site. I have not tried the workaround yet.

Cheers, -Peter

As Apple has just released an update to the Lion OS, 10.7.4, we have not yet been able to test Capture One's complete functionality with the new Operating Systems.
We have had several support cases saying that after updating to 10.7.4 Capture One does not launch. We would urge you to NOT UPDATE TO 10.7.4 just yet.
If you already have, please create a support case and provide us a System Profile and Software Log files for Capture One as explained in the link below. The more details we get from customers that have just updated, the sooner we can provide a workaround and or release an update for the software.

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1624&languageid=1

UPDATE
It appears the issue is related to Apples change of the OpenCL drivers, specific to AMD based Video Cards. To run Capture One in the 10.7.4 OS please run the disable script in the link below to allow Capture One to launch. We will do our best to provide an update shortly to accomodate Apples unannounced changes. Thanks to all of those users that helped us identify this quickly.

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1720&languageid=1

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I reported it to my dealer about a hour ago.

Thanks Peter for the update. I already loaded the apple update. Hopefully Phase will have a quick update to counter it.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
There's a 6.4.1 out now... Maybe it addresses this problem. Works fine on my 10.7.4 updated laptop...

A

andreipopovici

I can confirm that I don't see that issue with 10.7.4 and Capture One 6.4.1 on a latest gen Macbook Pro.

In either case, we've written a blog post that will be updated as we find out more from Phase One:

OS X Update to 10.7.4 Not Recommended with Capture One 6.4 :: Capture Integration – Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment

Andrei Popovici (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 413.422.0033
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Cool - I'll go grab it.

Btw, it seems that there were plenty of issues with 6.4.1 and 10.7.3 too with the AMD graphics chips. My installation has kernel panic'd a number of times with AMD related driver stack traces - most often when PS CS5 was also running and using the graphics processor (C1 Pro set to OpenCL auto in my case).

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
10.7.4 has been available for developer review for a couple of months before release.
Once again, Phase One waits for formal release to give it a spin.
Their users would be far less impacted if they stayed on top of the developer releases like almost any other serious software company.
The C1 OpenCL implementation seems to be particularly fragile and has never been usable for me even with using a "supported" configuration.
IMO they should drop the feature or re-implement it robustly.
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yup - what Bob said!

It seems like with every new OS point release Phase One is playing catch up with fatal crashes and UI problems with the retail updates. If I as an individual Mac developer program member am getting previews for compatibility and bug reporting well ahead of official release then I can't really have any sympathy for Phase One not finding serious problems and certainly not having a C1 point release available for immediate distribution either simultaneously with the OS update or preferably before. The magnitude of the bugs we see are such that a blind incompetent tester would hit them immediately so it's hard to fathom the surprised nature of Phase One when these happen. :thumbdown:

p.s. and they can't claim not to know about the errors either because if my at least half a dozen automated bug reports back to Phase One are anything to go by then they'll have had PLENTY of run time reports given the number of copies running out there.