The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OSX 10.5.5 for C1 4 Pro versus Nikon 8000 scanner

archiM44

I am hoping someone has a solution or workaround.
Under OSX 10.4.11 my Nikon 8000 (fire wire) scanner works, but upgrading to C1 4 PRO doesn't, although Phase One support said to try it.
Under OSX 10.5.5 the Nikon scanner won't function properly.
I really need the scanner and my M8 files are ok in C1 4.1.1 and 3.7.9Pro, but would like to have everything!
Maurice

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Maurice:

Not an exact answer, but a FWIW comment... I have a Nikon 9000 scanner (also FW400) on my MacPro running OSX 10.5, along with C1 4.5 Pro, and both are running fine so far.

When checking on the current 9000 drivers for OSX 10.5, I am pretty sure I saw there was both a firmware and driver update for the 8000 under 10.5 --- you might want to check that out on the Nikon site.

Best,

harmsr

Workshop Member
You could also use Vuescan vs. Nikon Scan. I believe that you would also be much happier with the end results.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Good point Ray. The Nikon software is so bad I compared SilverFast and VueScan as options. In the end I went with Vue Pro, not because it was any better than SF, but it was cheaper ($89 as opposed to $400) and drives a bunch of scanners for no added charge, including my old Epson flatbed -- :) The UI on Vue takes a bit to get the hang of, but once you get the hang of it it produces scans every bit as good as SF, and IMO the auto IR cleaning routine is superior to SF's.