The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PS CS4 isn't in any better shape than C1 .4.5!

gogopix

Subscriber
I downloaded, installed (after tracking down the setup, in a folder hidden by AKAMAI downloader, since it doesnt auto load!)
well, not happy. Bland interface, looks like a lot the same
AND it will NOT open to images to work on together; they overwrite one another; they dont cascade or anything

If it is some setting, someone needs to clue Adobe into how people process images!:D

ANyway, back to Cs3 for now

Back to 3.7.7 ( 3.7.8 had crashed on my quad dual, 8 processor machine)

I am SURE there is great functionality and processing in the background, but these two new product versions are frustrating as hell.

Seems as if many here agree at least on 4.5

BOTH lacked open betas; maybe a lesson for these companies- a few trusted souls don't hack it.

I though I was alone, but both these products are getting a flood of negative comments, in the face of their actually, very likely, being a step in improvement-if we could only access it

AND STOP THEM FROM TAKING OLD FUNCTIONS AWAY!

best regards
Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
Oh, don't get me wrong; I have upgraded BOTh and paid $329 for it (PS CS4)

However, if we don't feed back they won't get better...

BOTH made mistakes or redoing or changing something that was at the heart of my workflow. From what I read, that is true for many (ok, maybe the outspoken :D )

I am already impressed with the new 4.5 processing engine. However, Phase has had C1 4.0.000x around for a while...

see Peter's comments as well.

All SW goes through these phases (pun intended :angel: ); the quicker we feedback, the sooner they MAY listen.

Victor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just curious, what tool(s) and/or commands specifically changed in CS4 that negatively impacted your workflow?

I realize some of the locations have been moved or regrouped and this could be distracting until you live with the new arrangement for a bit...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm not sure I understand this comment. When were you ever able to open two images side by side in Photoshop? If you mean that you can have multiple windows open and then click to make ONE active while still viewing the other in the background, that's the same as always. Simply press the F key to rotate through the various view options until you see the image windows without a background. And I think they added a button/icon to arrange your workspace by tiling the open image windows (not sure, have to check).

Best,
Tim

I downloaded, installed (after tracking down the setup, in a folder hidden by AKAMAI downloader, since it doesnt auto load!)
well, not happy. Bland interface, looks like a lot the same
AND it will NOT open to images to work on together; they overwrite one another; they dont cascade or anything

If it is some setting, someone needs to clue Adobe into how people process images!:D

ANyway, back to Cs3 for now

best regards
Victor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Victor:

The new open window default is to use tabs, so they are all there, only tabbed like excel spreadsheet pages. You can easily change this back to the old way by unchecking the tabbed box in preferences. In fact they do need to be out of tabbed view in order to drag one image on top of the other, but it is super easy to do.

Cheers,

gogopix

Subscriber
in cs3 the default was cascading; you just clicked (CLOSE) without having to hunt for tabs, and yes, when I had 10-20 images open making a collage (as I did for a calendar I did) it was easy to compose and check size BEFORE the actual copy and paste into the collage canvas.

It is just these little things that are annoying; I also see bridge is a lot slower to open-i guess that is why they have the 'open bridge on login'

Now the big question for you guys; I understanf the ACR engine is version 5 in CS4; does it do any better job on Phase files? DNG?

I think some tests are in order-I assume P1 C1 will keep ahead.

And a BIG gripe;

WHy do we still have to 'guess' at the angle to level a horizon. I must say, the Phase C1 approach of drawing a stright line for horizon (or vertical-it even seems to know which it is!)

I will bet somewher PS has a hidden function, at least from mee that will really rotate. Probably need to go into perspective control or some complex function like that

Second question- is there a way to set up a 'private toolkit' that is, copy the shortcuts to the tools one usually needs, some you dont have to hunt all over for them. I use

image8<>16 bit
Color conversion
Shadow
image size
GF
NIK SW
PHOTOTOOLS focalblade and color washer (but less frequently now

so, is ther such a folder or window you can set up?

Vic

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And a BIG gripe;

WHy do we still have to 'guess' at the angle to level a horizon. I must say, the Phase C1 approach of drawing a stright line for horizon (or vertical-it even seems to know which it is!)
Uh, it's there, and has been for several iterations of Photoshop -- :) It's called the "ruler" and it is in the dropper menu kit. You call the ruler up, drag a line along your horizon OR a vertical object like a phone pole or building edge, then go to Image> Image Rotation> Arbitrary and hit enter. Presto, your image is rotated the precise angle necessary to straighten it.

Victor, you really should consider attending one of our workshops --- we cover all of these little goodies and a bunch more ;)

gogopix

Subscriber
But that's my point Jack; why, for such a simple action as arbitrary rotation should one need to go into dropper, subselections and then (or actually before) call up the primary function.

In MS they call bugs "features"

In image software, we should call functions "aerobic exercises" :)

Workshops should focus on content and HOW to use functions for improving images, not to learn the mechanics of sw. If the latter, I consider that a failing of the sw and sw developer's training materials

[Or alternatively-and I will say it before anyone else-the impatience of the users.]

I notice I just got an ad for a discount on a $1400 training session from Adobe...

.... I think I broke the code

Victor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I guess the difference is in how you learn to use these tools... The hotkey for the eyedropper set is the letter "I", or shift-I if you've set it up that way, so a few quick presses on the I-key and you cycle through the dropper set to the ruler. Course it works the same way for all the others.

I guess if one "learned" to use Photoshop by navigating to every regularly-used tool and and menu instead of the short-cuts, it could generate frustrations -- more so if they go and re-group some of them as they did in CS4. I further recognize those frustrations may manifest themselves to be perceived as bugz...

As for our workshops, they are focused around improving images AND workflow. For example, teaching the ruler tool definitely improves images by helping folks get them level before going on to the rest of the "improvements" we teach...

On par, the Adobe offer is probably a very good option for you.

Now maybe I've gone and broken the code :D