The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One and Lightroom equal now?

schuster

I'm not sufficiently conversant with either Capture One or Lightroom to make an in-depth comparison myself, but I'd like to read a critique and judgment call by experienced users of both here.

Kirmo

Not saying that I'm an expert on both. I use both of these for my needs.

I see two areas where LR is far better than C1.

1) Printing

I do almost 100% of my printing through LR

2) DAM

Keywording and cataloging both my Canon and IQ180 files
is in LR.

LR is not even near where it could be in this area. But it's so much
better than what I have found in C1.

I do my IQ180 file developing in C1 and the Canon files go through
LR. Would hope to see a day when I'd just be using one software.

Kirmo

darr

I do a quick process of my Phase One files in Capture One (C1) and immediately send them over to Lightroom (LR) for post processing work. C1 I have been told, is supposed to be an outstanding program, but I am accustom to using LR & Photoshop (PS). I started and stopped learning C1 when I bought my P45 in 2009. I bought the Luminous Landscape videos and still find C1 not to my liking like LR & PS. But, others will differ. ;)

Craftysnapper

I've been using LR since it came out and ACR before that, but I have to say as a recent convert to CO6 Pro I much prefer it to LR for it's natural colours and detail rendition. The only place it lags behind in my opinion is in High ISO noise reduction.

Also it's layers feature are so much more refined for local adjustments than LR's brush feature.

As to DAM I've never got on with LR for that and prefer Media Pro as I have been using it since it was IVeiw.:)

John Black

I'm more of a C1 user and feel that C1 offers punchier colors, better sharpness and tends to get, deeper, cleaner colors. With Lightroom 4, I think Lightroom is doing a better job of re-creating blown highlights. The new tone controls in LR4 are impressive.

When it comes to reviewing images and selecting keepers, I feel like I move faster in C1. But, I use C1 so, so much more than LR. If I put an equal amount of time into LR, I may find that LR is equal or better for image review & selection.