The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture 4 is out , little comparision

fordfanjpn

I posted this on the LUF forum, but I'll add it here too, just in case.

It appears that in optimizing Capture 4 for Intel-based Macs, Phase One has rendered it unusable on G5 Macs. Although it will run, when you select a folder of images, instead of images you get a bunch of triangles with an exclamation mark in the middle. I posted a question about this on the Phase One forum, and it seems that if you wait long enough (so far I haven't been able to get any results, so I can't tell if "long enough" means minutes or hours), the thumbnails will start to appear. This is odd because the beta version, while slow, did at least work. So apparently the bottom line is, if you're not running an Intel Mac, don't bother with Capture 4.

Bill

W

wparsons

I'm gonna be the odd-guy-out. I happen to like the new LE beta interface. I might put the color balance on the third instead of the second page, but I like having all these controls available.

I suspect that the PRO users had all this stuff before.

Yes, it's strange having C1 drop files all over the place, but I will work out a clean-up process.

With regard to Guy's pix, I don't know what his lovely daughter should look like, but I do like the C1 version(s).

In terms of workflow, I used it to process a shoot from 2 weeks ago. I shot 1,000 pix and used C1 for all the workflow. In C1, I selected 150 of the 1k imnages, cropped and messed with 'em, and saved as jpeg's for the client. The entire process took 4 hours (in 2 stints). I didn't think that was onerous.

Also, I am doing processing in the beta that I used to have to do in PS. So, I managed to lose the save as tiff-use PS for some more processing-save again before going to Image Print (now there is Nobel Prize quality software!) steps. All of this make me a mostly happy camper.

However, I'm gonna wait for my beta to expire before I blow my (single?) upgrade on this version. they might make some changes -- like cleaning up the system aspects of too many files -- and I don't want to spend my upgrade too fast.

Also -- during my processing marathon, the beta-2 crashed several times in each session. In all, about 6 crashes during the 4 hours. Annoying, so I will anticipate that this got fixed in the release.

Marc Wilson

Using capture one 4 today, having upgraded from my previous 3 LE version (free upgrade so why not!).
On a G5 yes it certainly is much slower than the previous version...much slower...too slow for my liking as it gets in the way of processing my images at a pace I want....but one thing it is doing now is showing full res at 100% view which the older version did not (well at least mine didn't).
Interface is also a bit cluttered for me.
Also I find I now need to hold down the shift key to process multiple selected images at once.

Bill, on my G5 I get the triangle etc but they turn to images within a few seconds, but that is still a bit of a wait.

So overall, I think may go back to using previous version.

Unfortunately I've used up my lightroom trial but don't remember it being too slow at all so bearing in mind I'm not planning Mac upgrade for a while (better things to spend my photo money on) perhaps I'll have to look at lightroom again.

Marc

tom in mpls

Haven't used it much, trying to figure out the new interface combined with C1 Pro. I think I will like this type of interface better once I get the hang of it. Anyway, my thumbnails pop up almost instantly on my G5.

I do intend to move to the next Mac Pro release.

fordfanjpn

I finally got a reply from Phase One regarding the problem with thumbnails and images not showing up on my G5. According to them, I needed to set my files/folders to read/write. I set one folder on the hard drive where I keep my pictures to read/write, and suddenly I could access all of the folders with no problem. No idea why that worked, but it seems to have done the trick. Now I'll be able to spend some time over the holiday comparing it to Silkypix.

Bill

S

Shootist

I finally got a reply from Phase One regarding the problem with thumbnails and images not showing up on my G5. According to them, I needed to set my files/folders to read/write. I set one folder on the hard drive where I keep my pictures to read/write, and suddenly I could access all of the folders with no problem. No idea why that worked, but it seems to have done the trick. Now I'll be able to spend some time over the holiday comparing it to Silkypix.

Bill
I know exactly why. If you look in that folder you browsed to in C1 V4 you will find a subfolder called Capture and then another subfolder under that Capture folder and then another subfolder one more layer down. Look in that last Sub-Sub-Subfolder and you will see a number of .COP files. These are the C1 V4 cache files. They will get placed in every folder you open in C1 with NO way to change where C1 V4 stores it's cache files.
NO thank you Phase One.
Before you changed that setting C1 V4 didn't have rights to write to that drive so it couldn't make it cache Sub-Sub-Subfolder and load your drive with files that shouldn't be there.

fordfanjpn

I know exactly why. If you look in that folder you browsed to in C1 V4 you will find a subfolder called Capture and then another subfolder under that Capture folder and then another subfolder one more layer down. Look in that last Sub-Sub-Subfolder and you will see a number of .COP files. These are the C1 V4 cache files. They will get placed in every folder you open in C1 with NO way to change where C1 V4 stores it's cache files.
NO thank you Phase One.
Before you changed that setting C1 V4 didn't have rights to write to that drive so it couldn't make it cache Sub-Sub-Subfolder and load your drive with files that shouldn't be there.
I think you probably hit the nail on the head. I can see how some people may be bothered by all the sub folders being created. However, since I'm not all that concerned about it (I'm not that neat to begin with), and since I'm more interested in results than anything else, I'll go ahead and work with it to see how it compares. If it turns out to do the best job, then I'll learn to live with its idiosyncrasies. After all it's the image hanging on the wall that matters, not the tools used to make the image or the clutter on my hard drive. ;)

Bill